How To Get Away With Murder: Discussion Thread

• Members

But I find myself cringing when his onscreen conquests say things like “he did this thing to my ass that made my eyes water.”

What, did he stick an onion up there or something?

LOLOLOL

Maybe my unease with the show is that, so far, it depicts gay intimacy as something shocking rather than natural and universally relate-able.

Very true!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The case of the week was actually good.

I couldn't care less about the murder flash forward if I tried.

That said this episode is boring, probably because it's a Laurel highlight --- which no one can be expected to care about.

Matt McGorry is the best actor of the law student set you can tell he gives his all in every one of his scenes, no matter how significant or throw away they are. But his character still feels like an empty husk.

I guess the cat and mouse game between Alfred and Annalise was where this was all leading to, but it still feels a bit hollow.

Edited by Skin

• Members

I actually enjoyed the case this week and my bb Laurel stepping up!

I was LMAO when that juror said that he has tea with Grace Kelly and the way Annalise looked at him afterwards.

Asher crying because the boys chargers were less had me dying and there was another scene but I can't remember.

• Members

And now I'm reminded of why I stopped reading Backlot. Between the bizarre segueways (let's talk about whether someone on Twitter is homophobic) and the silly talk (was this author as worried about "unlikeable characters" when skeevy, melty-face Brian and his smirky brain dead twink Justin were [!@#$%^&*] all over Pittsburgh on QAF??), the whole thing gets away from itself. And the comments are even worse, comparing Connor to, of all characters, Deanna Troi as an example of characters who are just there for sexual purposes. Clearly people don't remember just how terrible her stories were for ages. Call me when Connor is unknowingly impregnated by aliens.

I don't watch the show all that much, but some of these same sites complained for years about asexual gay characters and gay characters who were one-dimensional nice types with no lives of their own. Now they get something different, and they're still unhappy.

I guarantee you if they make the character asexual and dial down his airtime, that same author will be complaining.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Episodes 3 and 4 were enjoyable. That guy playing Paxton turned bad really fast though in his last scene.

Annalise taking off her wig/makeup and asking Sam why his penis is on a dead girl's phone was SHOCKER! laugh.png

I like how Connor found himself surprised by his feelings for Oliver. Now that I've seen episode four, all the outcry over the drawn-out, supposedly OTT gay sex scenes seems even more absurd. Someone said "Did you come to talk about my puss-ies?" and "if this were my husband, I'd never be able to walk straight again" but Connor is the one who goes too far with 15 second sex scenes? Okay.

I like that all the kids are different & that we get to know a little bit more about them each episode. That's something.

+1

Yes.

He is receiving the same treatment straight characters do on a lot of shows: "Sexy" lines, well-edited sex scenes, lewd comments.... but hell no, that sh!t should be on cable!

Nobody's arguing that the material is brilliant but I am damn glad that I am finally seeing a gay character receiving equal (if not, GASP, better!!!) treatment as his straight peers.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The show is just ok. I am over the hype now. The only character I watch for is Connor. I can see the numbers slipping next season even more. And what big mystery are they going to have next season once this one is solved?? HTGAWM has nothing on Cabot Cove. I'm sure Jessica would have solved the girl's murder and husband's in one episode.

• Members

It'll be interesting to see if it can stabilize itself & what they can come up with for a season 2 main storyline. For now, I am enjoying Annalise and Connor, the fact that we are seeing so much diversity and that a gay character is not only multi-dimensional, but equal to the others.

Rebecca can die painfully, though. And Wes isn't exactly firing on all cylinders.

LMAO

• Members

Angela Lansbury on a Shonda Rhimes would be a headtrip. I almost wish it could happen, especially with that messy situation with NBC trying to remake Murder She Wrote.

Network TV is slipping everywhere. ABC has seen this a fair amount, which is why they keep hanging onto things like Castle that normally would have been gone by now. The network is rebuilding somewhat, thanks to this show and others like black-ish, but it has a long way to go.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The moral positioning of Brian and Justin is very different from the positioning Connor received though, we have to take that into account if we want to pick apart his argument. For better or worse Brian and Justin were usually held in a sympathetic light in which the audiences were supposed to agree, side with and support them and they were more or less "good people" and were written as such. Connor is largely seen to be self serving, he hasn't shown much in the way of redemptive features outside of him maybe liking his pseudo asian boyfriend and feeling a tiny bit sorry for a office assistant for ending his life. We also have to add the fact that Connor is an accessory to a murder as well. None of this makes him very sympathetic. He isn't a gay character who is seen to have a lot of morality where as even Brian and Justin seemed to have some scruples and values. Is this really a point for contention? I don't think so, I really don't think it matters either way. It doesn't bother me, but maybe this is a point that should be discussed for people who find Connor's sex scenes unsavory, would it be better for viewers if Connor was nicer and more likable like Scotty Windel from Brothers and Sisters, or Will Truman from Will & Grace? Who knows.

All that can be quantitatively said about Connor is that he is the most sexually active individual of the group. Just like Connor is the dumb jock, Micheala is the prissy type a valedictorian and Laurel is the bookwarm with a heart of gold.

• Members

I really don't care if he's the typical bad boy Brian Kinney type or sorta naughty but heart of gold Justin type. His scenes just seemed a little over the top for me. Esp since it's not like it's Showtime or HBO. And there's a huge difference between visual and words. The lady said she simply wouldn't be able to walk....I hardly find that as envelope pushing as "he did things with his mouth to my...." or whatever the dead person said. I don't consider Connor an accessory to murder tho. The guy was a weak loser who couldn't handle the consequences and so he made his decision. I don't see why Connor should be held accountable for his actions. Esp since the guy thought he was playing Connor to begin with...

Last episode was pretty good. Liked the case but not sure if I liked how quickly they progressed to Laurel already having feelings for Frank.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear