Y&R: March Discussion

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CW put in 'work'! She took a nothing character and added layers, in a gesture or an expression alone. Those park scenes with DT were actually good. They were both affecting and the sense of foreboding seemed authentic in that final scene. Kelly really was pathetic (and I mean that in the sense of the pathos that Kelly exudes) in that final moment when she trails off about meeting at the mall as Billy turns away to leave. These are the types of scenes we used to get in soaps that we don't seem to get much of anymore because scenes are now cut so sharply and quickly but CW found a way to eke that moment out without it seeming rushed or forced-- she took her time and played the beats.

What's up with Y&R's direction, though? I know they are time crunched and often must plow through but there are some scenes that I often watch that seem in dire need of a director to step in. Those Victoria boxing scenes were ridiculous. They should have changed her activity to something more productive, a speedbag, jumping rope, etc. Those punching bag scenes looked so anemic, it only gave the appearance of weakening this character.

Steel Magnolia my azz!

• Members

Well, I wouldn't want too many of those Chancellor Park-esque scenes because done too much with a lightweight actor they have a tendency to become maudlin but sprinkled in there on occasion is okay with me. I'm coming from the world of theater so those types of details matter to me. In theater, rehearsal is everything and I realize that soaps don't rehearse anymore due to the time constraints of shooting & budget so I make allowances for that fact but I also realize that that's a big reason why we see a lot of stuff stinking up our screens so often.

I couldn't do soaps because I would've made AH do those scenes until she got it right. Y&R would have fired me by the day's end.tongue.png In undergrad I once had a theater professor who thought I was playing my scene with low energy and proceeded to have me do laps around the room until my energy perked up and then I had to do the scene again. That would've been me and AH until she hit that bag with some gusto.

I often watch Y&R and ask 'Where the hell is the director?' in some of these scenes. If that makes me old school, I will wear that moniker with pride.wink.png

• Members

I have been thinking this will be the outcome from Dylan and Ian's scene on Thursday.

I was hoping it was drag a bit as well, but we have Ian till summer, so I will be thankful for that. Will Ian get his hands on Fen? If yes, I think the story was changed from Summer to Fen.

• Members

Realistically, isn't that the logical road for the story? I mean it really sets up a lot of opportunities.

As far as ghost John, considering that JD was 50 when he was the Abbot Patriarch in 1982/83, that role is more than ready to be handed to Jack (as PB is 60). And, yes, the death could'be been undone (if they could undo PIII, ANYTHING is possible). Hell, it was a doppelganger who was killed as John was placed in protective custody because his cellmate was a terrorist. Done. Anyway, time to move forward.

• Members

I do and I don't. I think CW is doing an amazing job showing us how broken and lonely Kelly is right now. She is so desperate to hold on to something that makes her happy that she is ignoring that the same thing will make her miserable in the end. She can't have a married man she had a ONS as her BFFs. It is soapy and sad. But at the same time the character is Kelly really is a waste of space. Most characters who are pretty universally disliked don't stick around for long unless it is as a villain intended to mess with people. This regime I think has realized Kelly wasn't taking and they created fantastic dialogue to make the transition away from Billy make sense. I really did like the park scenes with Bill and later with Stitch. You finally got to sense of where her head was at. I just feel it is a little too, little too late though.

I am not saying she doesn't have fans because clearly every character does, but I don't think it is a leap to assume she is probably one of the least liked additions to the show. And not just by Villy fans but overall Y&R fans as well. I just rarely see anyone have anything good to say about this character. That is not CW's fault. Kelly was a plot point and now they are trying to flesh her out to make her a viable character. I just think they have a lot of work to do but they are starting well by giving her potential friends (Lily), having her grow interested in someone else (Jack), giving her rivals of sort (Victoria), and some twisted mystery to be revealed (Stitch). Also now with the recasting they can really take her in a new direction. CM basically hinted they would so I think that is the game plan.

Archived