Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Love interest should be age appropriate and willing to take on a matriarch role for the Abbot clan. Oh, and Neil needs the same. Enough of them having a different love interest every 1.5 years. I don't mind jack's feud with Victor as Long as it framed as competing companies with products. Enough of trying to take Newman or Newman/chancellor...or take jabot. That is not a business story and was one of the problem's with MAB's writing.

• Members

Neil needs an age appropriate love interest too. It's a shame the last woman I saw him have chemistry with is dead. I'm not even sure why Jack is after Victor this time. Didn't he give up Newman because his obsession was bad for his mental health? I understand why Jill is fighting Victor but Jack is about to lose Kyle's loyalty for no reason.

• Members

I'm completely tired of Jack vs Victor. Jack looks pathetic constantly going after what is Victor's instead of focusing on what is his. Besides, we already know who wins and easily since Jack is written so inept. This rivalry ceased being interesting quite some time ago. I'd rather see something new like Victor vs Neil. Too bad Neil ain't allowed a company or cajones.

I think its cause Jack lost a bundle being BFF Adam's silent partner.

• Members

Agreed with Victor versus Neil. Let Neil start is own business to compete with the lifestyles division and the vodka. That way Jack and Neil can remain friends and combine their efforts to go against Victor...however, let Neil versus Victor be in the forefront. It can even be a friendly rivalry that turns negative. Then I can stop having to listen to folks complain about Neil making decisions at Jabot and hiring his own kids...I swear this stuff writes itself but the writers just don't see interested in anything new or increasing the role of the Winters family, or even Lauren and her stores. I wouldn't even mind if they had Neil court and marry an age appropriate woman who owns a distillery so that he can beat out Victor in getting the contract. Of course he falls in love with her later on then it comes out that he only married her for her company connections. She can have a kid of her own. Bio mother of Mason. THey could really do some things with the Winters who have been so ignored that almost anything they do would be fresh.

• Members

I disagree. I am pretty sure she was brought on specifically to be paired with Devon. Why wouldn't they put them together? How is it lazy to cast someone as a love interest for a contract player who has been on the show almost 10 years. This is the first time that they have ever attempted to give him an onscreen love interest. Why begrudge him the ONLY woman on canvas they will pair him with who was brought on for that purpose. For some reason, people have gotten in their head that two black people can not be paired up on TV. And to do so is lazy or isolating or discriminating. I fond that train of thought is very odd.

Everyone black is not stuck in their orbit. Hilary has more scenes with Jack and Jill right now than she does anyone with the last name Winters. Not just that, the woman was brought on to give them story. Why wouldn't she do what she was designed to do? Tyler rarely spends any time at all with anyone Winters related although he was brought on specifically to be paired with Lily. They have moved him on. He is more in the Newman and Abbot story. Leslie is paired with Neil. Again, I see no issue with that because that is also why they gave her a contract. Yet, she spends lots of time with clients and her BFF Avery. The folks who are actually isolated are the people who bear the name Winters. Neil, Devon, and Lily. Devon nor Lily have any friends while all the AA newbies do. They are developing a friendship with Jack and Neil but Neil mostly spends all his time with Leslie, Devon, and Lily...while Lily spends hers with Cane and Neil. You can't say that for these non Winters AAs. They are all over the canvas.

• Members

Devon and Hilary have no chemistry and a the whole "forbidden" love thing is a tired trope. No one said two black people can not be paired on tv. The problem is that they usually only get paired with each other and just because they are black. And how was Hilary brought on for the purpose of being paired with Devon? She was brought on to give Neil and Cane a story. They can bring on a different woman for Devon.

• Members

Chemistry is relative. I think that they do have chemistry. As for it being a tired trope...this is a soap. How many pairings ever happen that is not forbidden. If they were not, then there isn't any story associated with it and that is quite boring (Tyler and Abby anyone?). As for them only being paired because they are black...it may seem that way but I don't think that is the case. Every woman Neil has every been paired with was brought on to be paired with him. He is the reason that the woman even exists on the show. They just so happen to be black because Y&R/Sony/CBS is not very fond of the BM/WW pairings (at least that is what KSJ said on more than one occasion). So the idea that it is "just because they are black" is very simplistic and ignoring how soaps are cast and stories are written/planned. Do you really think any soap cast characters without having some sort of story and romantic pairing mapped out for them? Do you really think any soap gives a black woman a contract without having a story and pairing mapped out for her. While, they can move them on when the original story is told, normally they just usher them off canvas like they have done for many Women of color (I won't use black because I don't think Marrisa Ramirez is black and I know Nia Peeples is not). Bottomline, these women are cast to give the Winters story just like they cast other characters to give the Abbots and Newmans stories.

And yes, I still say that Hilary was brought on to be paired with Devon. She is a contract player. They obviously have/had some story in mind for her bsides the entrance story just like they did Chelsea (Brought on cause trouble in the Newman sphere to be paired with a Newman). Who else were they bringing this contract player on to be paired with if not Devon being that she was brought on causing trouble in the Winters Orbit? Let's look at the possibilities. Devon, Kyle, Noah, Tyler. Devon was in an off screen relationship with a day player whom we were told they had broken up right when Hilary came on. Kyle is pining for his sister/not sister Summer. Noah who is with another day player Courtney who seems to be getting a larger role. Tyler who was in a new relationship with Abby. Looking at it, Kyle could be an option. But I think we all know that Devon was always the choice considering his situation.

Why would they bring on a different woman for Devon when they have Hilary who has a history with the Winters and built in angst and story there. That would make no sense whatsoever writing wise. Then where does that leave Hilary romantically on canvas? Persoanlly, I have always wanted Devon and Chloe to be paired. Always. If the writers took that route I would be a happy camper. But they have had many opportunities but they chose Kevin instead of Devon for her. Even now, she and Kevin have broken up and she is a free bird. This is the perfect opportunity. But no, they are keeping her with Kevin. That should tell you all that you need to know when the chipmunk can get onscreen pairings but Devon can't.

• Members

Sorry I just don't see any great story potential for Devon and Hilary. They have about as much potential as Noah and Courtney and the same amount of chemistry. It's quick and easy to throw Devon and Hilary together without build up for real pairings for either that take time to be developed. Their scenes so far have been dull. Good for you that you like them but I don't see anything between them. Hilary doesn't need some dull redemption story with Devon.

• Members

I agree that Hilary doesn't need redemption. Although it is common soap writing to redeem someone who has done wrong. but I am looking forward to Devon finally being treated as a full human with a visible love life like every other man on this show. And I think we are getting build up and story surrounding them. That's what is happening now. Its not like they are even together or being thrown together haphazardly or off screen.

What do you want done with Hilary?

Archived