Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

LOL!

Yeah, I'm fresh out of ideas on the personal front but if the writers could only write an honest to goodness business story, that may give Victor something to do.

As sloppily as it has been executed, we see hints of this in the back and forth scenes between Noah and Kyle in Victor's office. We don't see Victoria at work these days, even though we're told she just got back from the office, so other than Kyle's pitch, there's been no tangible business story going on as opposed to Jabot, where at least we see the clothing line, photo shoots and talk of cosmetics.

Newman Chancellor (or whatever they're calling themselves this week), needs a physical product to wrestle with, not just talking in the abstract. Something solid that could form the basis of an actual business story that the Victor Newman character can get involved with. Does anyone know what Newman is producing these days? Does Brash and Sassy/Beauty of Nature still exist? What is their product line?

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Kyle pitched Vodka for their lifestyles division. So hopefully they are going to build a story around it. It doesn't lend itself to going head to head with Jabot but it does open up for some story. They will need distilleries, bottlers, packaging, marketing, etc. that's a lot of story and drama to be written there. But I don't see them doing that. What the writers don't seem to get about writing for Y&R is that the life drama should be a backdrop happening while the business story is in the forefront. This Delia hit and run would be so much better if Adam, Billy, Victoria, Chloe, Jill, Jack, etc had to interact with each other on a daily basis and was dealing with it while trying to live their regular lives. And no, that restaurant and folks dropping in randomly to eat doesn't count...and no, Chelsea and Chloe's none work job doesn't count. Give these folks offices where they have to see each other every day. Geez. It is not hard.

• Members

I feel like I should point out that, for frontburner characters to transition to supporting, there need to be great characters and capable actors to pull of carrying the show in their place.

Do we have that? No.

I cannot even imagine the deathly boredom if they put Victor, Nikki, Jack and such away (for the mere reason that they've been around for decades) and replace them with those things they call a cast now.

Besides, Victor and Nikki would be viable if written well. The all important "next generation" of this show has been decimated and replaced with exactly nothing. So, yes, I rather watch Nikki in a bad story than Chelsea in one.

• Members

Well, you got me there. I would rather watch Nikki than Chelsea too. But I think there are some actresses/actors and characters that they can work with...Hilary, Summer, Fen, Tyler are good examples. I think each has the stage presence and charisma. I also think that they could pull off a front burner story if given the opportunity.

Victor and Jack just seem stale. So is Victoria and Billy. So is Adam. But that's because they were overused for 3 years. There is almost nothing left. I am not advocating for Victor or Jack to disappear. Just take a backseat to the youngsters story. That's all. I actually think Victor was used that way with Villy. But when they had him with amnesia being lost...it's just time to retire Victor going away carrying an isolated story. JMO.

• Members

I find Hilary, Summer, Abby, Tyler, Noah a lot more interesting than Victor, Nikki, Victor, Nick, Adam, and Billy. Really what more can you do frontburner with Victor and Nikki that they haven't already done before? What's funny is Jill still manages to remain more compelling than those two and she spends a lot of time with awful Cane, Billy, and Chloe.

• Members

IA that they have some people to work with, but they need much stronger writing and any transition should be done throughout the years (yes, YEARS) and not instantly. You cannot just backburn a bunch of tried, true, tested and strong actors/characters and expect a bunch of semi-developed characters played by actors that might not pull it off to suddenly carry the whole show--they can barely carry their own scenes!

Well, good luck with that!

Y&R isn't doing it because, despite all the craziness that's occurred, they have somehow (inexplicably) retained some understanding of the importance of their vets & the actors playing them. They may only use them to further their agendas but they know they have to, otherwise this show will TANK horribly (and we would see a new level of awfulness we have not yet encountered).

The dynamic of Jack vs Victor (if not the actual stories) still works and is integral to the show. The only reason it seems tired is because these characters have been written horribly out of character for almost a decade now & because the stories are bad. Otherwise, while their loooooong history on the show would indeed be something to consider, good writing would make them more than viable in most cases. But, then again, if there was actual good writing, Colleen, Abby, Noah, Lily, Summer, Kyle, Cassie, Nate, Billy, Mac, etc, would be mixing it up with everyone else plus newer characters, and would be sharing enough airtime to not overuse and overexpose to older ones.

Cause and effect. The next generation, as I have said before, has been destroyed and those that remain are not defined enough or played by good enough actors. I shudder at what will happen when the vets truly start leaving.

Archived