Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Devon fight for the day player who was only a place holder to keep from pairing him with any of the white female contract players on the show. Devon fight for a relationship that viewers have never really seen. What sense does that make? The writers should have let that relationship stay dead when lily threw out that snotty comment letting us know they broke up. I just don't understand people wanting Devon to stay in this off screen relationship...or is that the point?

• Members

I think he was better received when Dru was on. He was very sweet with her which showed a different side to him being that they wouldn't give him a love life even then. But after she died, that softness dried up and so did the affection some folks had for him. But I still say that if they had given him his own life besides worrying about lily, he would be more tolerable to some of his haters...but as things stand...

• Members

That's not what they are doing with Hill and Devon. Devon doesn't even like her right now. He does not trust Hill because of what she did to his family. When Devon falls for Hill, it will hit him like a ton of bricks. Tyler and that twit are nothing and have gone thru nothing. Don't Not sure how they developed into a relationship, but from the looks of things, I don't see any depth at all.

• Members

Here is where I see a difference. Devon and Hilary have natural angst. Their angst is built in. It is a difference between what they are doing with Hilary and Devon versus Tyler and Abby. Tyler and Abby come up with something to argue and be worried about every episode, yet is is resolved every episode (This is the same crap they use to do to Devon and Roxy). Whereas Hilary and Devon doesn't need that because it is already there and justified. When they argue it makes sense. I don't think anyone would categorize their encounter as "bizarre". And I think you see the difference too but are being deliberately obtuse. Lol.

Y&R rarely shows anyone working. It's all romantic/family drama these days and has been for ages. Asking for Hilary to be shown in the workplace is like asking for the holy grail. But I think I know what this means. You would rather they put Hilary on ice romantically until she develops relationships with someone other than Winters in hopes that she won't be paired with Devon (or anyone else black I take it because again they would only be paired because they are black ;-) ). I understand that you might not like Devon or find him boring or whatever and probably like Hilary so you don't want her with him. That's fine. But let's not make excuses for why it doesn't make sense or is haphazard when it is clear that the foundation for the pairing was set from the beginning. Unlike Abby and Tyler.

• Members

Tyler and Abby were mostly off screen. No one saw them fall in love. Just one day the were. This invented angst that is resolved in the same episode smacks of unplanned and no direction. If the writers were going to pair Abby and Tyler they should have set a foundation for it by giving them some story to facilitate it. Which is what they did with Hilary and Devon.

• Members

Not sure what "organic" means re: scenes but I thought they were firing off of each other on every cylinder. The only thing I don't like about it is the thought in my mind that Hill might be paired with Devon. It makes me enjoy Hill's scenes less than I probably would otherwise. I would rather see her paired with Noah.

Because they were a couple for 8-9 years. That is significant and not something to be swept under the carpet just because Hill's portrayer is a good actress.

• Members

This Tyler/Abby pairing is about as contrived as you can get with a couple supposedly in love. I couldn't get over their scenes in the park. I swear Abby was coming across as a kid, opposed to an adult woman talking with her BF regarding a trip he took her on. Its bad enough we weren't given the chance to see their love develop onscreen like most soap couples, but we're subjected to her whining over Tyler's ex, Mariah. He's repeatedly trying to make her believe it's over, and that he loves her. Okay angst with the possible triangle is a soap staple, but there's been very little shown of these two falling in love. Most of their scenes are Abby worrying over Tyler's ex, Mariah, as he tries to reassure her saying he's blocked the calls. Now instead of them being shown bonding, they have the same discussion over this invisible woman. This leads me to believe the writers still has some discomfort with a WW/BM pairing. I just feel most couples they actually want to work are given time to blossom, before they throw in the problems.

Archived