Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're not too bad at covering, randomly, soap stuff online. It was a nice little interview (I wish it was a bit longer, but I am sure this is the only even somewhat mainstream coverage the book got.) I wish it got one of their tiny blurbs in the magazine, but with two pages or something devoted to books, that would never happen--I remember when they used to have a small weekly soap column ages back--now I thinkthe last soap article we got was that awful Death of Soaps one (although they did do a nice little write up in their "what to watch" column about Jeanne Cooper's tribute episode,to their credit.)

• Members

Curious if anyone can explain what Ilene Kristen means by being "polite":

"...I knew kind of which storyline I was coming into, but I have my own acting style, and it isn’t polite -- and the show, at the time, was too polite. Too much of something I didn’t want to do.

I loved the show when Marilyn Chris was on it. Marilyn's one of my favorite actors. She's as real as real can be. Judith Light, Gerry Anthony. They were not polite actors. Marilyn Chris -- she’s a blood-and-guts kind of person. Real. I wanted to come on and do that -- not conform. Not that the show was bad, it was just too polite for me."

- Giles, Jeff (2013-09-09). Llanview in the Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live (p. 253). . Kindle Edition.

I don't know I always thought Judith Light was blood-and-guts...but I don't understand how "polite" is being used by Ms. Kristen? Anyone?

• Members

I feel she means actors that arent afraid to get truthful, real & at times ugly to get the truth of the story

Some play it SAFE with their acting choices. They dont wanna get real and emotional, sometimes ugly. However, Ilene & the actors she mentioned arent afraid to go there. Plus Ilene was right, in 2001 when she came on, the majority of the acting company I would say(Sans Woods, Slezak & Smith) did play the safe and predictible choices

Archived