Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Members

I'm not really sure how much leftover stuff there is -- I put each interview in a Google Doc, and then pulled from them individually to make the master file, so I know pretty much every transcript has bits and pieces that were left out, but I don't know what we're talking in terms of words or pages. The Kish thing is something I struggled with, but yeah, without some kind of inside information from someone at the network level about how that whole thing fell apart, it couldn't have been much more than the actors lamenting losing their jobs.

I reached out to Florencia's reps a few times, but they never responded. I pursued Kathy Brier like crazy -- same with Tuc Watkins and the guy who played Nash (I'm drawing a blank at the moment) -- but they wouldn't get back to me. I've been told that Kathy was pretty pissed about being let go, so maybe that had something to do with her silence. Bree's rep said she was busy filming, I couldn't get a response out of any of the Cassies, and Krimmer is...a lawyer? I forget what exactly he's doing now, but it isn't acting. He's still close with Roy Thinnes, but Roy didn't come out and offer to put me in touch, so I didn't push it.

Kamar's rep said he was willing, but they were never really great about working with me on timing. Jason Tam refused through his publicist, which bummed me out, because I wanted to talk about how that Chorus Line documentary made it clear that OLTL never really scratched the surface of what he could do. Easton couldn't talk because of all the legal BS that was going on by the time I reached out to him.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jason Tam was a real waste, I absolutely agree. I used to harp on and on about that when he was on the show - he was gorgeous and incredibly talented. They had him and Brittany Underwood reduced to the cheering section for Starr and Cole, and it was extremely, deliberately regimented by the show IMO, particularly after the writers' strike in 2008.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but when Ron Carlivati first took over he made Langston Dorian's adoptive daughter - something Brittany Underwood and Strasser sold very well - they had introduced this whole triangle with her, Starr and Cole where she was set up to be the rooting heroine and Starr was the heavy, since Starr was, in fact, a spoiled kid - overnight, when the strike hit, that all disappeared. And then it was gone for good and she never got that kind of airtime again. The whole story with David Gregory (Ford) just basically shamed the character; she was a portal to their attempt to pair him with Bree Williamson, which didn't work and was just offensive IMO. I don't suppose any of the Ford brothers were available? Boy, did I not like them (but the actors seem nice).

I thought it was a real shame, because while I watched Kristen Alderson grow up on the show and I think she's a very sweet young woman who is so grateful for daytime and for OLTL, I think there's things she can do and things she can't - and despite what the show thought, she could not carry a youth canvas IMO. Of course, the demographic numbers may disagree with me.

I figured Forbes March (Nash Brennan) might not talk; he was vocal at the time of his exit about feeling deceived by Frank Valentini, but anyone with eyes could see he was being phased out IMO.

Oh! Was Melissa Fumero busy? She's on that Andy Samberg show now, so I figured that might be it. I assume Scott Clifton was busy over at B&B.

• Members

Jeff, thank you so much for reaching out to us here at SON. I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions for you, but I really must read your book In its entirety for myself first. However, I'm curious to know if you reached out to the likes of Elaine Princi, Gillian Spencer and Joanne Dorian.

• Members

Not sure, Jeff, you know what you're in for joining this group, but it's great to have you aboard!

I've posted a lot of my praise on the Facebook site for the book already, as well as the Brandon's Buzz one, but it really is an essential book for any soap fan. I'd go as far as to say that it really should be in the library of any university with a media studies course. I've already gone back to it many times over the past couple of months. Vee's comments really say it best.

• Members

My only thought, which isn't really a question, is I wonder if some of these actors were weary because they didn't know the tone or outcome of the book? I suppose that's an obvious thought, but... Jeff, I know you have a strong web presence and background, but a book like this hasn't been done before. So it makes sense that older actors, who often are largely retired from the industry are willing as well as those actors who were passionate about talking when the show was canceled, but for others, even Tam (who has had a decent run on with Broadway and Off-Broadway shows although I'm still surprised he hasn't really had a true lead excepting the Sondheim revue Marry Me a Little) would just be weary of being asked to speak about their experiences.

• Members

See above, John. Brett said it best shortly after the firing on, I think, AfterElton (it easily comes up in google search) and I think Jeff's right that without the other side of the story, unfortunately it doesn't really have a place in the book. It's too bad, because that whole "too much gay" part of the show (the Kish stuff running side by side with the frankly silly Dorian is a "lesbian" and gay marriage stuff) really for me marked the point where Frank and Ron's material fell apart, leaving us with a long period where there was NOTHING of merit on the show to replace it, and while the show had some great stuff later on, it never really recovered, at least in my eyes (Electroshocked, nearly incestually raped, mentally regressed Jessica, the Ford Bros, the Gigi/Stacy mess.)

Actually I do have a question. Was Farrah Fath, who is pretty well known for being outspoken to fans, asked for an interview?

And this just proves why some of us think Jeff Giles is brave for joining a soap forum.

• Members

Didn't reach out to Joanne Dorian, but I did try and set something up with Gillian Spencer -- she wasn't interested in talking. And I would have loved to have spoken with Elaine Princi (especially since Strasser was so difficult), but I couldn't find any contact information for her.

• Members

My pleasure. I honestly thought, when I first heard about the project maybe a year ago, that it was going to be a gushy fan tribute of some sort and not worth a second look. I am glad I was so completely wrong. I said it earlier in this thread, but it's my favorite "behind the scenes" soap book since Dan Wakefield's 1970s All Her Children (which, to most people on this forum has become something of a joke since I bring it up as a reference so much.)

This probably is not worth your trouble following up on but now I'm curious just why Robin was "difficult." Her fan persona, through her call line (which I've been too scared to ever call) and her tweets is certainly eccentric and a weird mix of, IMHO, being spot on and completely out to lunch.

• Members

Kristen does seem very sweet, and I've interviewed her before, but she doesn't seem to have much to say, if you know what I mean. I never really planned on talking to her for the book, especially since I had the whole "growing up on set" angle via Erin Torpey.

Melissa Fumero was available, and I could have set something up through David, but time was getting tight at that point. Clifton was only on the show for a blip, so I didn't really think about interviewing him, but I bet he'd be fun. I've interviewed his producer, Jeff Pescetto, who also works with Jack Wagner.

Archived