Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I enjoyed hearing from Jeff, but that damn interviewer gigging throughout the interview drop me bananas. I had to try and ignore than to enjoy it. I had no idea that Susan Haskell was so upset during her final run. I found all of that stuff terrible from Christina Chambers horrible portrayal as Marty to the ridiculous stuff with the Rapemance and then Marty going crazy. Yes it was fun to watch, but I didn't think it served the character well. Especially when you consider she got no redemption. This interview now has me wanting him to go back and see if he can reach a few more people and expand on it.

• Members

Yeah, I've listened to a few of Brandon's previous interviews (the SBH one on her time on One Life pre the reboot is great) and don't remember the fact that he laughs at EVERYTHING. Sigh.

I did know about Haskell since in the SOD One Life to Live special large commemorative magazine she's up front saying that they basically destroyed her character, but I had no idea she had a meeting with the cast on her last day and told them how badly the execs had treated her the last few months... Specifically she meant the fact that Marty who had survived so much (even the rapemance for God's sake) suddenly snapped to murderous psychopathic levels over not getting the love of John.

Not too much new info but I liked hearing from Jeff too, hearing his take on the online version, etc.

• Members

Wow, what is that about Susan? I'm listening to it now. Oh, geez. "She gathered everybody around and gave a big speech about how she had never been treated so poorly in her life."

Too bad about John Loprieno - maybe he was just burned out, since he was still a writer at the show well into the Frons era IIRC and seemed happy to come back in 2011. I figured Andrea's refusal had to be about her stalker issues or her writing her own memoir, and the latter seems to be the case.

What a pity Bryan Cranston and Wallace Shawn weren't able to do it as planned. I had no idea either of them were ever on the show. And what a shame that Nathan Purdee had a flat no, though I can't blame him - he seemed very happy and open to it when OLTL came back this year, and I entertained the thought that we might see Hank again.

I appreciated Giles complimenting The Trischitta; I agree the poor kid improved. He was very fair about the reboot IMO, and didn't trash it or say it was DOA.

(oh, and check your inbox)

• Members

That's about the extent of the mention. He'd wanted to interview Susan and her agent apparently seemed receptive, but he got the run-around on finding a date to talk. He said he could understand if she wasn't too keen to revisit that part of her life.

This Brandon guy has got to stop laughing.

• Members

As much as I grew to hate Marty (not because of the character so much but because she became nothing but a symbol of THE RAPE) I've always had affection for Susan because she could make me feel for Marty even in spite of my fatigue. SH is one of the few actors who can take me from disinterested to crying in seconds. It's sad that after all her years with the show, things ended the way they did.

• Members

I don't know if OLTL 2.0 got around to approaching Susan before things went off on what we can still call the indefinite hiatus. I had heard she was on the wish list, and I know they approached a couple other performers about returning. Thorsten Kaye, who isn't known for bullshit, seemed to think she'd be interested given the change in management.

Along with Nora, Dorian and Viki, Marty was one of my central favorites when I started watching as a kid; she was the character I identified with as a lonely, somewhat volatile tween. She always had such passion but also such integrity and intelligence. I do think they could've done much more with the character upon her return on contract, which I never thought would happen, but all Ron cared about was the same old beats with Todd. I'll never stop hoping to see Marty brought back and made whole again in some way.

• Members

Well given all the Praise Ellen has Given Erika and Agnes in the past and now backtracks, Id say she is lying or confused.Reading the book, there a few actors who say something about Ellen Holly is OFF now a days

Ellen has the EGO to say that she & the Carla story made Agnes Nixon who she was today. Bull [!@#$%^&*]. O believe a woman named Irna Phillips had way more to do with that than Ellen. Her nerve. SMH

Archived