Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Members

Praise for Agnes, yes, for Erika, none that I know of. When I read One Life back in '96, it was my first time reading such "dish" about members of the soap community. I was really surprised by EH's comments re: ES which for the most part seemed misconstrued or just plain insulting, snobby even. She had high praise for Gillian Spencer (her Viki/Niki being better than Joanne Woodard in The Three Faces of Eve), but scratched her head at how a newbie with little-to-no NY theatre credits was cast as lead in a soap opera.

I'll have to read exactly what EH says in the Giles book. While it's my hunch (based on her past accounts) that she's probably off the mark, I was slightly annoyed by the hyper-defense of ES in the comments section of the Fairman article. I love ES too, but it ain't like butter don't melt in her mouth, we weren't there forty years ago, we don't know what was or was not said. General disclaimer.

I find the whole thing very sad though. Sadder than Bea Arthur hating Betty White.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EH was more annoyed that matron of honor Viki was getting all of the closeups at Carla's wedding. She also thought ES was ungrateful for "complaining" about being a part of this Ebony cover/daytime history making event where she'd be embraced by the black audience. ES said that it made no sense for her character to be MOH when Viki and Carla hardly socialized.

Thinking someone liked you and finding out years later that they in fact did not has to hurt at least a little. Maybe she's just being gracious, but when ES continues to say such lovely things about EH, it breaks my heart.

I've read the same about OLTL being more ensemble-based the first decade or so, and I've even read that Merrie was at times more central than Viki, but I think Viki was from day one intended to be the young female lead, the central WASP heroine of this diverse show. I believe the very first scene of the show was Viki opening the french doors and stepping out onto the Llanfair terrace.

• Members

Folks -- I haven't been able to register until now, but I wanted to post and say a hearty THANK YOU for this lengthy discussion of my book. It's really gratifying to know it has an audience that appreciates it in the spirit it was intended -- makes the hours I spent putting it together totally worth it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, and I'll answer anything I can.

• Members

I apologize for copying and pasting so much of it! I just adore the book and wanted to promote the [!@#$%^&*] out of it (and encourage discussion).

In all seriousness, you've really done something amazing and I can't say enough about your work here. It's certainly the most adult-minded book I've read about this genre in ages. There's a case to be made for a similar book on AMC or GH, or any number of the CBS or NBC soaps - and frankly, as you seem to be a relatively detached observer outside the usual industry circles, I can't think of anyone better for the job, though I doubt that interests you. Anyway, congratulations again. Now I feel sheepish about quoting from the book anymore.

• Members

No apologies necessary -- you've been like a living ad for the book, and I appreciate the effort, as well as all the discussion.

Other soaps have been mentioned, and it's definitely an intriguing idea. It's too bad that it's too late to put together something on, say, Guiding Light, but I think it'd be feasible to do something on AMC or Santa Barbara or...well, you get the idea. I may find my way back to soaps at some point, but at the moment, I'm partway through the next book, which has nothing to do with TV. Maybe someone here should write the next grown-up soap book!

• Members

I think there's a couple people around here who could do a great job with that. The We Love Soaps guys aren't bad, either.

I did mean to ask you - how much outstanding material do you have that didn't make it in to the final book, if any? I mean, I'm sure there's some cut for brevity, but - well, I don't know how to quantify that, really. EricMontreal mentioned something about how you didn't address the "Kish" gay storyline on OLTL because you couldn't speak to Frank Valentini.

I am curious about a few other people who aren't in the book - were Florencia Lozano or Kathy Brier available? There was such great stuff in the book from Chris Stack, who never got the credit he deserved on the show IMO. How about Mark Lawson or Bree Williamson, or Renee Elise Goldsberry? Laura Bonariggo (nee Koffman) or Bob Krimmer? Oh, I feel bad asking because this will turn into a laundry list and I don't want to do that, because I think you got such a remarkable wealth of people already. I'm just curious about the turn-downs or the flat out unavailables.

Archived