The Future of ABC Daytime

• Members

I think that all remaining Soaps on network television are having to keep asking them to cut back, pay cuts, production costs, etc. My question is that how do the soaps keep going if TPTB keep asking for pay cuts? Sounds a little depressing and not boding well for the future of soaps generally speaking.

To get quality writers to write soaps, then you gotta pay up for quality. To want the best you have to pay the best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, when does it end? The quality (GH) is severely below par and has been for quite some time, so I can't imagine Revenue is increasing. You can cut but so much. ABC's ridiculous fight with PP and the re-entrance of the 3 Livers hurt GH big time!

As for the quality writers, I'm sure the GH writers that were fired and replaced with that gargabe OLTL team would take a cut as opposed to being fired altogether.

• Members

I too think that AMC and OLTL won't be back on ABCD anytime soon too. Having said that, I do think that ABCD is watching what PP is doing with the shows. Never say never scenerio. It would not surprise me to someday see ABCD buy back the soaps and maybe treat them similar to B&B with 30 minutes 5 days a week airing. That would only be 1 hour of Daytime programming for them. After GMA, the rest of the daytime line-up is kinda sorta shaky. The View's ratings are down. DOOL beat out GH in Emmy love this year around. There is weakness starting up in their overall daytime programming so if they would consider putting AMC and OLTL back on in a 30 min 5 day thing, I would not be surprised. But that would only happen if they see the shows take off solidly from PP and then try to do a business take over thing with PP selling the show back to ABC. That is alot of if's this and that.

We don't even know if AMC and OLTL will survive and get a 2nd year with PP. Just way too soon to be talking ABCD taking the shows back from PP, if ever.

I too think that AMC and OLTL won't be back on ABCD anytime soon too. Having said that, I do think that ABCD is watching what PP is doing with the shows. Never say never scenerio. It would not surprise me to someday see ABCD buy back the soaps and maybe treat them similar to B&B with 30 minutes 5 days a week airing. That would only be 1 hour of Daytime programming for them. After GMA, the rest of the daytime line-up is kinda sorta shaky. The View's ratings are down. DOOL beat out GH in Emmy love this year around. There is weakness starting up in their overall daytime programming so if they would consider putting AMC and OLTL back on in a 30 min 5 day thing, I would not be surprised. But that would only happen if they see the shows take off solidly from PP and then try to do a business take over thing with PP selling the show back to ABC. That is alot of if's this and that.

We don't even know if AMC and OLTL will survive and get a 2nd year with PP. Just way too soon to be talking ABCD taking the shows back from PP, if ever.

• Members

Yes, we have to see what the ratings are going to be at the conclusion of the 40 episodes test period first. Will OWN want to continue on? What will happen if OWN declines to carry the shows? If OWN test project is doing fairly OK, would that spark interest in ABCD to put back on the table the consideration of taking the shows back?

• Members

Linda, PP has about 8 more years to hold onto AMC and OLTL (someone please correct me if I am mistaken), so by the time ABC gets their hands on them again, people will be over soaps. I seriously doubt PP would negotiate them back to ABC. Now, would they allow ABC first run?

But again, TV is changing, and I don't see ABC making an attempt to get back into the soap business.

• Members

Everyone gets super excited when an ABCd soap replacement fails, but eventually, something will stick. ABC is not going backwards here. NBC is down to one soap, and they are ok. ABC will get there, and in the interim, GH is the target for whatever cuts are needed. The show will be a skeleton right before ABC cancels it.

• Members

I don't watch The View but just bring back Rosie O'Donnell that would get the views to go up!

I really don't know the future of GH, but it's gonna be staying at 2pm for sure. What is the point of moving it to 3pm?

The Chew will be cancelled by at least three years from now.

• Members

So PP will continue with AMC and OLTL for 8 more years to come??? Then why are they trying to find a "business model" in order to make sure the shows survive if they have their hands on the property already? Could PP sell both shows at any time or would they have to wait for the 8 years to expire? Could PP sell AMC and OLTL separately at any time? I am not meaning for the shows to necessarily return back to ABC but at any time could PP sell both shows to a different network or cable net at any time before the 8 year thing is up?

• Members

PP has the rights to the show for another 8+ years, and they pay ABC a licensing fee for those rights. My guess is that if the partnership with OWN is successful, you could see first run on that network. If the shows don't survive, PP can hold onto the rights or surrender them to ABC [releases them from the annual fees]. Because of the bad blood, my guess is that PP will do everything possible to make this work and will sell blood for cash to avoid having to surrender anything to ABC.

Archived