GH50: Discussion for the month of July...

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely buy that.

One reason I think I obsess over how bad Ron can be is, like Vee, I genuinely do think he's done some very good, even great soap work. Someone like Higley, or Passnanate has never shown any real talent for the format (to put it mildly) IMHO, so their work is much less interesting to talk about, and when they do insultingly bad soap work it's less of a let down (though I'm used to it with RC now.)

• Members

I think a lot of us were happy to have Ron after Garin/Guza- the final years and especially after Dena. There was also still a sense at that point that the show was likely on the chopping block and I felt like he could do a better ending & would likely showcase some much missed characters.

I actually liked the McBain transfer the best- finally a real cop and I liked his stuff with FH. It was easy enough to buy that he got assigned a special case out of town- he was the smartest toughest cop in America after all. With Todd, I always felt like they could have brought RH on as a witty publisher and thrown him into Carly's orbit and achieved the same results- the crazy RH fans would have came anyway & maybe some other OLTL fans too- without messing with one of OLTLs signature characters (who really RC had very little history with anyway).

• Members

I think Ron was a good fit for GH in a lot of ways - he has the background in GH's adventure material and its best years. He has a reverence for that and he wasn't afraid to refocus the show on all those characters and concepts vs. Sonny and Jason. But they needed a co-HW. They've always desperately needed that. And he knew how to get eyes on the show. They created a narrative that soaps were making a comeback, starting around last September and they kept that momentum going - the virus! Jerry Jacks! Duke! Faison! etc. It was the details that suffered, the day-to-day storytelling and the 'little' stories which were actually major storylines, but which Ron sees as mere little pieces of his big arcs leading to big moments someday (i.e., Robin's perpetually-delayed rescue). He thinks people will forgive anything someday when they see the big moment.

One of my first choices for a second HW would've been Michele ValJean, but she spent the last few months on Twitter defending Bob Guza so who knows.

• Members

For me too, yes it was campy and silly and imperfect but it was also entertaining and fun to watch and like Vee said we saw so many characters that we never thought we'd see again. The war with PP over the OLTL3 & the lunacy of the insistence that they would all return ASAP as new characters, the likely network insistence on tying in the Chew and the natural letdown after the 50th seemed to combine to cause the wheels to fall off the bus in a fast, shape decline in May. And its a shame too because I think many lapsed fans had started to check the show out again.

• Members

I was definitely a fan of Ron in the beginning. I know the 50th Anniversary would have been awful under the Phelps/Guza reign so I am eternally grateful for Ron being the head writer during this time. I am also grateful for every vet Ron and Frank have brought back to GH. I know we would have never seen characters like Duke, Heather or Faison under Guza's reign. I also know that the GH vets are never going to have a front burner storyline and I am okay with that. I also get bringing in the some fresh blood to attract newer viewers. And Ron at least seems to be tying these so-called newer characters to historic GH characters.

That said, how come I've seen only a handful of scenes regarding Mac & Felicia's relationship? Should I be excited for this wedding? Where is the iconic soap couple Luke & Laura? How come Robert & Holly (iconic GH characters) weren't even around for the 50th Anniversary? How come I only see Duke & Anna once a month?

Why are 3 OLTL actors getting the most airtime on this show? I get TPTB want to keep the OLTL viewers but these 3 should NOT be getting the most airtime. It seems the whole show revolves around the OLTL3. I don't even like Sonny but he should be getting way more airtime than these three. I get bringing on new characters but to bring on this many in the last year is ridiculous. It's overkill. Longtime viewers want to tune out (again) because they get so resentful.

Franco.
Kiki.
Morgan.
Ava.
Silas.
Sabrina.
Britt.
Brad

TJ

Taylor

Serena (coming)

Anna Donnelly (coming)

Christina Collins (coming)

Melissa Collins (coming)

Lucas (rumored to be coming).

Where are they getting the $$ to pay for all these newbies? I get newbies are cheap but wouldn't it be a better investment to show the GH vets more than once a month and not hire so many newbies?

• Members

Who do I have to pay to watch Sabrina lose everything?

I can't stand this superior bitch.

Who did Jason Thompson piss off to get stuck with this illogical series of plot points masquerading as a story?

And it's nice of Kirsten Storms to remind me why I don't like her or her shallow version of Maxie.

• Members

Who is Melissa Collins? And if I remember PC correctly, wasn't Scotty Christina's adoptive father? If I remember right, he and Lucy had a huge fight at one point because Lucy had no legal rights in the adoption although they were married because of how the paper were filed. I know Lucy got her back from Julie toward the end-ish of PC and she was with Kevin then but I wouldn't think Scotty would just concede her to Kevin.

Archived