DAYS: Three stars out!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its so depressing how utterly boring Sonny and Wills story has been even up to this point. Will miss Chandlers cute baby face and rocking body but Will as a character was getting very boring once the whole rage and anger situation at Sami was done. Sonny has been dry as paint since day one.

I say good riddance and perhaps in a year or two bring back Will and a recast Sonny along with a some viable alternate options for either character.

• Members

I would beg to differ that Will has gotten boring. DAYS is generally doing better now in the ratings than when Will hadn't come out and wasn't with Sonny. The tension of what he was going to do at the first Nick-Gabi wedding, the breakup and makeup with Sonny, the angst over giving up parental rights, the struggle to get Stefano to help, then the rescue of Nick and Gabi on the island, were all top-notch. Recently I loved him standing up to Adrienne too to say he will be good for Sonny.

As for recasting, Will has been recast multiple times and has been a core character on DAYS around whom story has been woven since he was an infant. Even though I never really watched the show before January of this year, I knew who Will practically as soon as he was born, when I was still a sophomore in high school nearly 18 years ago.

It makes a lot more sense to recast him than to write him off given his parents and so much of the rest of his family will still be on the show.

• Members

Will is interesting mostly in what happens around him, more than what he himself does. When MarDar had him smirking and yelling up a storm, with little to no storyline beyond this, he just seemed like an aimless punk who was angry for no apparent reason other than failed nostalgia to Sami/Marlena circa 1993, and ratings were in the toilet (albeit for many reasons). I think the stories of the last year have been more suited to the character's role.

• Members

I was talking more in terms of Sonny when I mentioned recasting. I think CM is great as Will but if/when the show decides to bring the character back and Massey is not around or willing to return then of course they'll need to find someone new.

I guess my problem is that I never bought into Will and Sonny's friendship or relationship to begin with and throughout their run I've never really heard much about their storylines that has made people talk about them. There just didn't seem to be much "buzz" surrounding them as with previous gay characters/storylines.

Call it cliche but EJ and Will having a torrid affair right under Sami's nose would have been absolutely crazy and something I would have turned in for. Will and Chad fighting their attraction towards once another (and involving Gabby, Melanie, and Abby) would have been very interesting too. And add in the mother/son issues between him and Sami for another couple of months (or perhaps even being estranged for a year) then I'm hooked.

• Members

Well if Will leaves with Gabi then Adrienne will be correct about Will and Sonny will be left broken hearted. It doesn't look like Sonny is leaving so what are they going to do with him?? He is a boring character alone.....unless a recast Chad becomes bi.....I highly doubt that...

• Members

A Chad/Will story would have been interesting. The rest, I just never bought. I felt like the Will/EJ scenes were one note and stale and dated - they had the same scene for about five or six months. They were never going to have EJ with Will, and it wouldn't have caused much of a long-term reaction in town - Sami has gotten over worse from EJ. I never believed Will's rage at Sami, and this supposed anger over Sami breaking up a family that Will had zero interest in being a part of. And I thought Chandler Massey was very unsuited to the material, to me. He just kept making silly faces and shrieking like Jessie Spano on a caffeine freakout. The worst part of the story was that the big moments, like Will coming out or first showing interest in a guy, were treated as meaningless. Real relationships for Will were off-limits, apparently.

I think the material Will's had in the last year has probably been more true to what the character is suited for - family drama. I also think recasting the role with a better actor, even if he isn't as cute as Massey is, would help, as long as he also has some charisma.

I agree they haven't had buzz, but I don't really think the character needed buzz anyway, because buzz means short-term shock value now, and it didn't do anything for gay characters on ATWT or OLTL. I'd rather have a solid story.

I think we either won't see Sonny or he'll be written out.

• Members

I feel like WilSon have had a lot of buzz -- in addition to just the regular dicussion about the story, hello, all the super-high-view-count makeout clips and infamous shower fantasy; hello, two-time Emmy winner; hello, highest ratings in 18 months -- but I guess how good DAYS has been in general for months has been a secret outside of certain circles.

If they aren't recasting Will, they can use Sonny as the generic coffee guy for everyone to talk to (pretty much what Chad's role has been the past few months). I agree there would be no need to recast Sonny probably, but thankfully there is no discussion of Freddie Smith leaving! Don't scare me!

• Members

They can keep Sonny if they want. IF they want to. I hope they do. I'd rather see them develop him. Tomlin's apparently fond of Judi/Adrienne and Wally/Justin so that might slant it in his favor. That's if they want to keep telling (ugh) "the gay storyline" (ugh again). Not saying this storyline has been typical, I've loved most of it, but I guess we'll see.

Will still doesn't know that Sonny knows what Gabi did that Will doesn't know. Phew. Right? That could help push towards a breakup?

• Members

Maybe she asked to be let go or they fired her, but her story is her contract is up and she didn't reup it and will exit in dec. I figured she signed a 2 year contract that was up next month did a short term to wrap story the way others have.

I disagree totally. Important characters like will should absolutely be recasted. The show has spent years investing in the character. Chandler isn't irreplaceable.

A lot can happen in 9 months.

I think sonny is only boring because he's basically an extension of will. Maybe one of they guys they are casting is an ex from his world travels. A lot can be done with him.

• Members

I dont see them recasting Will right away if they do at all. I wouldnt mind if they gave more airtime to T. I'd love to see some budding friendship with Sonny after their bitter fights..lol.....

I dont see them recasting Will right away if they do at all. I wouldnt mind if they gave more airtime to T. I'd love to see some budding friendship with Sonny after their bitter fights..lol.....

• Members

Yeah, Sonny was a world traveler. He's probably met tons of interesting people. Exes, friends. I agree with Jack that a lot can be done with him.

And he's right again. It's 9 months away so a lot could happen. I'd be fine with a Will recast. Down the road. I think he's totally recast-able, and I really like Chandler and wish he weren't leaving, but the character can be recast.

Yeah, I wish they used T more. The actor's so natural and interesting. Missed opportunity there to not have used him more regularly. Shows need supporting friends and players that can be developed if they click.

• Members

It would be nice to see T there for Sonny after Will leaves. I can see the writers slowly pairing Sonny with someone else...not sure who and then they bring back Will in a recast. I hope that's what they do and with the 4 month ahead taping maybe the absents of Will wont be too long because he is Sami's son and he needs to be on the canvas.

And I already said they should recast Chandler with his younger brother in the role...lol...deage will a bit....LOL

Archived