The Young and The Restless Shocker: - Actress Leaving

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm very late to this thread but I'll just say that Stafford hasn't seemed interested in playing Phyllis for years and as an actress that cannot have been enjoyable, I know as a viewer I didn't enjoy watching her anymore.

The writing for Phyllis, taking her from damaged bitch to heroine, never made sense. The type of character Phyllis is was never meant to be a leading lady. She should have lead the B storyline on Y&R, not been the A story lead. That really was the kiss of death for the character and the incessant pairing with Joshua Morrow, which I never bought, didn't help matters.

It seems Stafford, the writers and the producers didn't agree about what to do with Phyllis and so it is for the best that she leaves.

• Members
Agreed...I use the term mixer to cut to the chase. Phyllis is very much like 1970s Brenda Dickson's Jill in that she has been steam rolled by life and as a result has deep control and trust issues. I always though Phyllis would have benefitted from a Kay-like character with which to do battle as opposed to the bashings she takes from the entire town.

I think Phyllis has suffered age discrimination. I actually see her as the next Kay and would have loved seeing her assume that sort of mature role. Instead, we get vanilla wimps like Avery. I so wish LML would return and take JFPs place!

Agreed...I use the term mixer to cut to the chase. Phyllis is very much like 1970s Brenda Dickson's Jill in that she has been steam rolled by life and as a result has deep control and trust issues. I always though Phyllis would have benefitted from a Kay-like character with which to do battle as opposed to the bashings she takes from the entire town.

I think Phyllis has suffered age discrimination. I actually see her as the next Kay and would have loved seeing her assume that sort of mature role. Instead, we get vanilla wimps like Avery. I so wish LML would return and take JFPs place!

• Members

"She desperately wants to leave.....I wonder just why that is...why is she so desperate now all of a sudden when before it seemed she was heel bent on being the lead heroine despite her acting talents and the writing for her character calling for otherwise.

• Members

I totally agree. The character was never meant to be a lead heroine...she should have stayed as the antagonist to a lead heroine...she should have played a part in the story but never actually been the story. The attempts to make her the story is what ruined Y&R for me...

• Members

Problem is that YR lacked a compelling heroine for so long and sorry but Sharon never had the chops. She has been playing the ultra human anti-heroine much like we saw with Carly on ATWT. It can suck the air out of any room and become a one woman show with the wrong writer. JM is correct that this is a critical blow because the show grew to depend on Phyllis at every other actors expence.

• Members

Agreed..."at every other character's expense"...how true this is...and it is/was a terrible thing. Now maybe with her gone, the show can get back to better storytelling that doesn't depend on Phyllis being involved. As for Sharon, she only turned into an anti-heroine when MAB decided to make Phyllis the heroine. Mind you, I hated Sharon from the word go and never had anything nice to say about her from that point forward. However, even I noticed the drastic change in the writing for her about 4 years ago. It was not Sharon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I never thought they were killing her off. I don't think that they are recasting anytime soon either. The paternity story can easily carry on without her and the new character Rose can be Jack's love interest.

• Members

the story really makes no sense w/o Phyll. I mean the show can certainly try to make a go of it, but everyone will be like 'where's Phyllis?!' LOL It will be pretty interesting to see how they address Phyll's absence (if at all). This story just doesn't seem viable w/o her...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

according to Nelson Branco!

Back to The Stafford: She taped her last show as Phyllis on Y&R this week. However, as I hinted on Twitter her last (speaking) scene really happened two weeks ago. (Do the math.) Do I know Phyllis’s big exit story? Of course. And predictably, it’s super lame and lazy. However, one reliable actress promises me it turns out much better on screen (probably because of the acting and not the writing). While I won’t outright reveal the spoiler, see if you can figure it out yourself:
How does Phyllis leave Genoa City?

a) Christine finally gets the goods on Phyllis for her past crimes. Phyllis is sentenced to prison.

b)Ronan returns to save Phyllis from her Hell; they reunite and leave town for Chicago.

C) During a struggle after learning Sharon switched Summer’s paternity test, Phyllis falls down and lands in a coma.

d) Phyllis moves to Port Charles.

e) Frustrated with her life and loves, Phyllis moves to New York to head a new social media site.

f) Learning the truth about Summer’s paternity (without the audience knowing who Summer’s father is), Phyllis flies back home but is presumed dead in a plane crash.

g) Avery poisons Phyllis with her cupcakes.

h) Someone murders Phyllis.

As for the show recasting the role down the road, don’t be surprised if they do — if Stafford doesn’t return in a year or two.

Archived