The Young and The Restless Shocker: - Actress Leaving

• Members
Because she wanted to? Why should she care about the impact her decision has on her workplace. I don't consider that when I leave or change jobs. Not that I necessarily believe it was 100% her choice. Not sure we'll ever know the details of that.

Of course, the loss of an actress who has been on the show for something like 40 years is much worse, that doesn't mean it's good for a show to lose another actress who has been on the show for a long time. I think Josh is right and it's a bad combination of events for Y&R. I would feel that way if they had just lost any other actor who had been on the show for close to 20 years.

I keep seeing people say that it won't matter, but isn't losing long term cast members part of what has killed shows like GL, AMC and OLTL? I'm not saying it's the only reason, but I don't think it helps when the faces people see are no longer the old familiar faces they tuned in for.

All that said, I do wish JM would stop talking about Sharon/Nick/Phyllis. Every time he does I like him less.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
THANK YOU. There's nothing wrong with what he said, it's absolutely accurate. If you read the rest of the interview, he says plenty about losing Jeanne as well.

Though I'd never want Phick back together, and I say that as someone who LOVED them before MAB ruined them.

• Members

Yeah, I don't blame Josh. I am sure he truly misses Jeanne, I think people are misdirecting their resentment towards MS to anyone that says otherwise. I am indifferent to MS leaving, but for those who actually watch Y&R and not post online, I am sure it is going to be a shock to lose both JC and then MS. I wish we could get Eileen Davidson back, but I think many people are immune with her character leaving.

• Members

Since we probably won't get ED back quite yet, I would like to have Traci back. I do think there is hope to get ED back someday, since Days is pretty good about letting story dictate cast, instead of vice versa. I think Days has managed to eek out a few more years of life to due to that strategy.

• Members

I wish the show the would give JM that Phick ending he wants and send him off with MS in July. It has gotten beyond old the way he disrepects his female leading ladies. SC was his leading lady for over 11 years and JC has been his leading lady for 9 months and yet with her he never even mentions her.

• Members

They're also hugely different situations and actresses. One died. The other is leaving and presumably has a happy life ahead of her. Not to mention that one was on the show from almost the start. There's no reason to throw these two together to try to inflate Stafford's leaving. It cheapens Jeanne Cooper's loss to turn it into some generic example of people leaving Y&R.

It was more the people who were brought in to replace long-term cast members, and the choice of long-term cast members who left, that hurt those shows. Y&R has quite a few longtime cast members who would probably help the show if they left.

• Members

Right?

Even if you dont like her for various reasons, this has been his main co-worker, his onscreen partner for a good many years now and is considered a powerhouse actress. Its a big loss for him, for the show.

It inst like he is throwing a public hissy fit demanding this wrong be righted and refusing to work with anyone else.

• Members

Those shows were hurt by poor storytelling and bad producing more than losing a few long time cast members. We are talking systemic problems that were caused by successive bad headwriters for decades. The remaining soaps have had the same problems, but they had higher ratings which gave them more of a cushion as women entered the workplace and stay at home women changed the channel.

Y&R has been going downhill for years and that was not going to stop even if Jeanne Cooper and MS remained on the show. Stafford's departure is a chance for Y&R to open the door and let some fresh air in. JG has proven himself to a boring writers, but let's see if he takes advantage of this opportunity or churns out more of the same.

Archived