PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

Yeah. I can see Andrea's point of people are going to be how they are.

I think PP was pretty damned if they do and damned if they don't in this case. I don't see them as treacherous but some do. I think them pulling the rug out last time just left a bad taste and people aren't going to get over it and really believe this will fail.

Frankly, a few things just don't seem to add up with that press release (people are watching but we're cutting them DOWN). I can see why folks are jumping to conclusions, I don't agree this means they're done, I think it means they once again got a little ahead of themselves. They should have just started with 2 episodes, although none of us will ever be 100% (including myself) satisfied. If they said that at the beginning there would have been the same outcry.

I do agree that part was spin.

I think it's more of the production schedule catching up to them than anything.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which is part of their point in their interview and press release. People are lazy.

OTOH, this does help account for something that has baffled me for years - people who only watch for "their couple" or "their character," FF everything else, don't watch certain days and then act shocked when they are blindsided by something the editing and plotting of the whole week, month or season of episodes made clear was coming. (Especially, it must be said, on RC and FV's shows, where all of that stuff is knitted together.)

• Members

Like we all have been saying:

IF YOU DON'T WATCH THE SHOWS THEY WILL CANCEL AGAIN. IF THEY CANCEL AGAIN THEY WILL NEVER BE BACK. AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUE TO GAIN VIEWERS THEY WILL GAIN NEW REVENUE TO MOLD THE SHOWS TO THE STYLE THE FANS WANT THEM TO BE IN. IF EVERYONE WAS LIKE YOU THE SHOWS WOULD BE GONE AND THERE WOULD BE NO CHANCE IN GETTING THE SHOWS BACK AGAIN!!!!!!

• Members
I agree.

I think PP just assumed they were a 'package that attracted the same audience'. IMHO, they both have vastly different tones and I can see how one wouldn't appeal to the fans of the other. Of course, ABC tried to make all their soaps feel and look the same so ...

• Members

Same. I've enjoyed them both because they feel like they're themselves again. I see the tones the shows should have and feel like and so much of that was missing. It's staggering to me how much better (even with flaws) they have been.

• Members

Seriously. It's just a really clean slate for me, for both. While a lot of the material may be edgier, in terms of tone and overall feeling they don't seem to be trying so hard. It's a lot more relaxed and naturalistic for me.

• Members

With daytime tv ad buys happen I think a month or two months before actual episodes air and are based or dated ratings, so the network/producer already has their money. The online format is pay per click and money changes hands after the fact. I could legit see that creating peaks and valleys in PPs pay schedule. But again, no one would ever put that in a press release.

They could easily adjust their budget around all this and return to the four a week schedule at some point if that is the major issue. I am not at all familiar with the entertainment world but one thing I thought of was rotating the cast more in a seasonal pattern. Right now AMC has four major stories going. They could cut the Pete/Celia/Evelyn story and just do the Cass story and the JR story it wouldn't have to reduce the total number of days each actor works but it would cut their overhead by a lot since the cast would be more half-on/half-off and reduce the amount of sets needed. But then that would probably cut the audience too.

Ugh, thinking about this gives me a headache I can only imagine what the guys behind PP have been putting themselves through.

Archived