PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fair enough, I guess I read it more as a statement--sorry. I do think KM's point is valid however, that this is partly their own fault (though I don't see it as yet another treacherous PP move, more them just not being experienced.) They did pride themselves on the "your soaps ANYTIME!" attitude of the new format constantly, and yet they seem to have built a model that works better for "well you don'thave to watch at a set time, but you had better watch within 24 hours".

• Members

They were mostly watching everyday. I'd say three of them are at least as soap obsessed as I am (actually both still watch the CBS soaps daily as well as GH and the online soaps--annoying as I'd get texts from people watching the online soaps at 5am that I woul have to ignore until I could watch) the others far less so and those *were* watching only on weekends. AT least one of them was the kind of casual soap fan who would tune out of shows if she didn't like storylines, and tune back in--so it runs the gamut.

• Members

The thing is it's such a new venture that in six months or a year we may be laughing about all of the awkward start-up mess. I certainly hope so.

The worst case situation has always been that these shows are on a year and that's that. Which is still way more than I ever thought I'd get. So I'm just enjoying the ride.

• Members

Part of me wonders if one of the issues is trying to sell advertising to clients who are used to reading Nielsen ratings of same day, same day +1, same day +7.

It's kind of funny for me to come here and see this hysteria on the same day the new Star Trek movie opens and I'm watching a completely different kind of meltdown from an equally strident fan base.

• Members
yes on here. You don't recall people complaining about the show taking too long with its reveals and not jumping straight into their stories? JR waking up itself got criticism bc it was stretched out across several episodes instead of him fully waking up the first time he moved

• Members

I'm not being hysterical I just am thoroughly familiar with spin tactics and I can read through that press release well enough to know that the reasons they stated aren't legitimately the primary reasons for their actions. As far as being overwhelmed time wise, I would need more info to asses that claim like how many episodes does a similar soap produce per year (the only one I can think of to compare is B&B) and then judge that against the fact that they are sharing studio space. That could be a primary reason but since they didn't talk about that in their release I only focused on the fact that the whole "binge viewing" statement and "to accommodate the fans" spin was complete spin. Either way no new start up venture would ever want to admit being overwhelmed or low on funds.

I wish them the best and hopefully they can find a way to pull thing together and provide more content at some point.

Archived