PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

I also don't get that. It's obvious they're committed to making the full 110 episodes (IMHO--I can't see it being canceled before a full year, though I admit I worry about time longer than that.) If you enjoy the shows, that's a LOT of material left to watch. With network serials when it seems they're being canceled, the fear is that stories will never be resolved--especially for all the Lost-style puzzle mysteries shows that ended under a year and left audiences with zero explanations. For me, soaps aren't so much about story resolution--after all the medium is to keep the stories endless--but to just watch episode by episode, so I couldn't personally see dropping them due to that fear. But I'm not you--so you are welcome to your choice (I'll miss reading your thoughts on each episode though.)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly - they're still producing the episodes. I don't know what you're so terrified of. If it ends in a year or whatever, well, that was always a concern we've all had to live with since before Day 1.

• Members

Maybe they shoulda listened to Khan's suggestion of 15 mins an episode... I mean up until 1968 people got about ten minutes of GL a day (and yes it moved far far far far far more slowly than these shows are) when commercials were removed. That held their attention--but maybe due to it being a daily habit.

But I strongly suspect a lot of these people making these grand "I'm never watching again" posts on here will keep watching. It's like all the people who were saying they'd never watch due to certain cast announcements before they even premiered--and ended up watching. If they spend an hour a day on SON (some seem to spend much more) how is this a waste of time?

• Members

I had already decided that next week I was going to start "binge" viewing and saving episodes instead of watching fresh every day. The one thing I wonder about though is the "social media" effect. It's been fun to have something to talk about from morning to night, LOL. This new "binge" viewing encourages people to stay off social media IMO.

• Members

But it won't. Both aAMC and OLTL have moved at a significantly quicker pace than even the quickest hour network soaps. I agree this will cause some increased pacing issues for the already filmed episodes that were meant to go at a week instead of two, but the actual plots will still move relatively quickly.

• Members

I think the furor is just something to wait out. Soap fandom loves to get overexcited about something and then ignores when it fizzles out or dies down below their expectations for failure or success. I plan to just wait out the paroxysms and watch the show. I'm not happy about the cutdown, but I can understand some of their reasoning, for now. Until I hear something legitimate and truly dire about the money, the numbers or production, though, the show is there and going on. Everything else is just fandom making noise and calling it real.

• Members

Funny thing is these are the only Soaps (except GH) that i'm not behind on. As I find they leave me wanting to watch more asap.

When PP originally picked them up i'm sure a few said they liked idea of 1, hour long ep a week? Maybe that'd work more than 2 seperate eps? as people are more used to watching other shows in that format?

• Members

I honestly pretty fickle. I admit I will miss them because I am invested and enjoyed the first 3 weeks. However this whole thing with AMC already taped. Its not gonna hold my attention. To watch something suppose to play out in one week play out in 2 weeks and the story thats suppose to play out in 4 weeks stretch out to 2 months. :/

Thats actually the reason I like soaps. Keeps me having to watch episode by episode. I don't watch any primetime shows because they dont keep my attention. I'm a pisces! We get apathetic easily sad.png lolol

I hope it works though. I don't have a good feeling about it. Maybe I'll binge watch the whole 8 episodes once a month or something but I doubt I will care by that point.

• Members

Certainly there's less of an excuse, but it's still a little different. An hour primetime drama is roughly 42-43 minutes of programming. These shows have been around 25. So let's be generous to primetime and say that means two of these PP episodes would amount to one primetime episode.

Network primetime shows get 22 episodes a year (cable gets between 8-13.) If these have 110, and we cut that by half, that's about the equivalent of making 55 primetime episodes a year.

• Members

I don't think the PP story pace is as languid as you suggest, though. There's a hell of a lot going on every four days all week. It's almost too fast for me. For a traditional soap, maybe it would be too slow, but not with what they've been doing on AMC and OLTL.

I do wish they'd cut it down to 3 and not 4, or keep 4, but apparently I am in the minority of daily viewers.

Archived