PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly how I feel. I admit I'm used to watching several hours of soaps a day (and sometimes binging to catch up) so the reduced time seemed insanely manageable to me personally, but I have spoken to people who, much to my surprise, are as much as 6 episodes behind...

• Members

Well I found myself 4 episodes behind on OLTL today and 3 episodes behind on AMC. And it's not even that I can't find the time to watch or had planned to binge watch but I had no compulsion to watch. But that's my own thing.

• Members

I agree, except I think PP has more to lose when people just skip one of their episodes than the networks did, in terms of revenue.

I wonder how FX Canada will adjust... I also hope that somehow the writers will be able to make some last minute changes to try to re-adjust--even though obviously it's largely too late for AMC.

However, for those who say this makes decisions like Susan Lucci not jumping on board make more sense, I disagree--if anything taping less episodes (and keeping her on screen more without having to make tons of excuses why she's gone again) would make her return more likely.

• Members

I am thinking they got caught in a bind with noticing that the editing and post production was taking longer than they expected so in that dilemma, they had to make a decision. Taping shows this week for next week airtime is simply cutting it way way too close.

But on the bright side, the show is still on and we will be able to see our favorite characters.

I always said that when things calm down and the shows settle into themselves, some adjustments are inevitable.

• Members

Jeeze. I have been swamped with other things and haven't even gotten around to watching the reboots yet. But I will. That's online viewing, to me. Sounds like they need to chill, or things are tanking. Two episodes really isn't enough if they're not ~45 minutes each.

• Members

I honestly think it would be better to take a break than to cut the shows back to 2/week. I waited a year to see the show again. If they took four weeks off to catch up, I would probably go back and watch all over from the beginning again and wait for the next run. I also think it would be better to let one show run for 8 weeks or so, and then run new episodes of the other.

I adapted to 25 minute shows. I can adapt again.

Either way, I'm thrilled that the GH fuckers can't write for OLTL characters anymore.

• Members

I know this sounds defensive, but I don't agree with your last statement. On AMC on network tv under, say, McTavish, or even Ron Carlivati JR would have probably taken a month of false starts and nobody seeing him move his fingers--if not 2 months even. It's been a mixed blessing, and taken some adjustments from the writers (and they aren't there yet) but it's obvious the new soaps play these soap clichés out MUCH MUCH faster. So while it's fair to complain you have less viewing time, and for you a big part of the appeal is watching daily for a certain amount of time, story wise even cut in half the actual story beats will continue to play much faster on them. I mean look at the mess of GH--there's no way we would have 6 months of Relish nonsense in the online format (I would hope the writers wouldn't even start it, but you get my point.)

Archived