Prospect Park Sues ABC Over ‘One Life To Live’ & ‘All My Children’ Licensing Agreement

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right in that GH never should have implied Tomas was Alcazar without consulting PP. I wrote what I did before w/o realizing I was echoing Chit and Cheap. But does it count as a breach of contract if Tomas never appeared on-screen? That's my question.

I did see it. :)

• Members

Prospect Park doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the actors. It was stupid of ABC to sign the actors to long term contracts when the characters they were playing are licensed to PP but it does not cause damages to PP and is something that ABC has the legal right to do, it didn't make it difficult for PP to get the characters back just their protrayers.

There's nothing wrong with PP wanting to bring the OLTL audience back to PP, but imo it is wrong to file a lawsuit against ABC over the actors because they have no legal right to the actors services since they have no contract with ME/KA and only a short term one with RH. If PP has said something about the breach of contract when it was happening, it doesn't look like they cared because they could have filed a ceased and desist order and was willing to share the characters, it only became an issue when they "lost" the actors to ABC/GH. I bet that if ABC got RH, ME and KA to agree to make appearances on OLTL in exchange for PP dropping the lawsuit , they would. I believe that is what PP cares about especially since they whine in the lawsuit document about ABC misleading the actors and some of the actors relocating their family to LA to do GH, even though it is none of their business.

• Members

Ok so its not serious that GH used a OLTL character that wasnt loaned to them? I guess then it would be ok if Gh just stated using the character of Reva Shaye from GL without permission from GL. No it wouldnt. P&G would sue & GH would be at faukt. Same thing here. You cant use a character in story that you dont have the rights to. Plain & simple.

• Members

Folks, you're missing the point. The rights to the character of TOMAS belonged to PP when GH brought him on as (TAH DAH!) TOMAS!!! That IS BREACH OF CONTRACT and is certainly an upholdable cause of action for a lawsuit. It doesn't matter whether they made him Alcazar or Balthazar, the point is they had no right to use him. PP has ABC on a technicality and like it or not, they are well within their right to sue, which I'm sure the ABC Legal Department already realizes. I know we're soap fans here, but geesh. You're all missing the point. It's not about whether or not John agrees with what PP is doing, it's that they are well within their right to do it.

You're arguing apples vs oranges.

Let me put it in Leigh-men's terms. I own the rights to Sunset Beach and its characters. Days of our Lives decides to bring back Sarah Buxton and reveal that Crystal Galore is really Annie Douglas. Ergo, I can sue Sony/Corday Productions for Breach of Contract because they don't own the rights to the character. It's as simple as that. Get it?

Geesh, I can't stand to read this asinine argument because you're arguing as a soap fan when in reality, it all boils down to a legal issue. Is PP justified in making this choice? That's debatable. But there is no debate on whether or not they are within their legal rights to do it because they ARE. Google Breach of Contract for Pete's Sakes!

Where is Bridget Dobson when I need her? I'm sure she could educate the hell out of this board about this very issue.

• Members

It doesnt matter that he wasnt physically on GH. GH wrote Tomas into an arc that was all about is he Tomas or alcazar & Gh never had the right to do that.. So really it has nothing to do with Tomas' story it has to do with they couldnt legally use that character but they did it anyway.

Thank you. This has been my stance since the beginning. Perfectly said.

Archived