Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

dragonflies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I find so sad and shocking about this is that she seems like the most youthful and vibrant member of the MTM family. I think alpha posted a picture of her with Mary a couple of months ago and she looked so fresh and great. She played Tallulah Bankhead on stage not long ago and she got great reviews for a piece of such unexpected casting. My heart goes out to her friends and loved ones. Great childhood memories of her in Valerie, like literally washing out her son's mouth with soap.

• Members

Yeah, I am so shocked, because as you know... I'm sure all of us thought Mary would be the first to go, she looks so feeble, and Val looked so good! This stuff always boggles my mind. My Aunt had terminal cancer and she didn't know it, and the last time I saw her, I was astounded at how fabulous she looked. You just never know.

• Members

Yes, I remember that too. I saw how great Val looked next to Mary, and now, just...wow. I remember being seven years old and seeing Rhoda on Nick at Nite after MTM. I stayed at a friend's house a few times and Nick at Nite would be on at night, and I loved the theme song to Rhoda (the season 3 version was playing--I guess those episodes were airing then). This was how I fell in love with Nick at Nite in the first place, and this is probably how I became the TV trivia nut I am today, so--damn, this really hurts sad.png .

I was looking through my copy of I, Rhoda today, and I read about how she met her husband, Tony. What a great story. smile.png

• Members

Horrible news. I loved her on Valerie (What The Hogan Family was called before Ms. Harper left the show) She always struck me as being a nice person who got screwed over alot. Especially when it came to that series. She was fired and replaced by Sandy Duncan. Even though Valerie was *her* show.

I'm really going to miss her. This news is horrible. Cancer sucks ass.

• Members

My favorite moment of hers was from "Valerie", when her character opened up a paper bag looking for cough drops and found condoms, her expression was so funny. I also remember her from a movie with Kellie Martin and Tori Spelling, where she gave a decent dramatic performance. This is tragic news.

• Members

Oh my gosh, I remember that! That really was a good show, and to this day I can hardly believe they fired her/killed Valerie off. That whole debacle lives on in a couple of Golden Girls jokes that I'm sure go right over most younger viewers' heads.

• Members

Is it odd I know exactly the 2 jokes you're referring to? ........

Sophia with the sock puppet ("Now ya know how Valerie Harper feels'')

and

Rose out on the lanai ("And Sandy Duncan is back on TV!!'')

I've actually never seen an episode of Valerie/The Hogan Family, but it pays to be a pop culture nerd/google researcher.

• Members

Yes! :lol: Actually, I wasn't even thinking about that Sandy Duncan one, but good catch. In another episode, Sophia says, "I've got a case better than Valerie Harper's." More trivia: Valerie narrated Estelle Getty's Lifetime Intimate Portrait.

Archived