Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

dragonflies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the spinoff worked while she was married. She had her husband to sort of become the "Mary" offset. But as soon as the divorce happened, the show and character turned caustic. It never worked with a Brenda as her sidekick because they tried turning Brenda into the "Rhoda" of the Mary and Rhoda years and Rhoda never became "mary"(nor should she have). Rhoda went back to being sort of a cynic but she no longer had the warmth and friendship and connection Mary brought to offset that. Rhoda was a hugely popular character and groundbreaking but I think a lot of people undervalue how the character of Mary also contributed to that.

• Members

Valerie lived in my area for many years, and we knew each other on a name to name basis. Quite often, she'd come and visit her sister and family, and I'd bump into her around town. She's one of those people who always put others before herself. She always asked how my mom was doing and even remembered my children. A little over a year ago, my grandson was out in LA, and bumped into Valerie at a restaurant. While she hadn't seen him since he was a boy, she knew exactly who he was before he could even introduce himself.

This past October, Valerie was a guest at an autograph show in NJ. I was working as a handler there, and I never thought that it would be the last time I saw her. She was so full of life, laughter, and fun. She was there with her husband Tony, who is also one of the nicest people out there. My heart just goes out to these great people.

I never thought that Valerie would go before Mary, especially given her recent health battles. And especially before Betty, Cloris, Ed, & Gavin who are all in their 80s.

• Members

The season one opening of Rhoda always tripped the f.uck out of me as a kid - especially when she would pop out saying, "My name is Rhoda Morgenstern."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZAdNWCzVU

I always wondered why TMTMS had such an ageless and iconic opening and theme, while its spin-offs had terrible openings and themes that were so of their era...

Archived