Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

dragonflies

• Members

Man, I'm so sad over this. It's really bothered me. She was just on Good Morning America not that long ago and they had Mary Tyler Moore call in. I admit I teared up. It was so sweet.

Such a wonderful woman. I've always liked her. Rhoda was such a fantastic character.

This is awful. I hate hate hate cancer.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just wanted to share some messages from Valerie's costars:

"I'm absolutely devastated by this news. Valerie has given so much joy, laughter and love to the world. I join her fans and send much love and positive thoughts to her and her family during this difficult time." ~ Mary Tyler Moore

“Valerie Harper is a century plan and I have come to know her much better in my latter years and have every confidence in the world that she will shock the hell out of us and survive to keep functioning as the great talent and human that she is.” ~ Ed Asner

“Here I go wheezing on at 91 years old and this beautiful, beautiful lady is facing something far too soon. We all love her so much, and we are going to make the most of every second we can.” ~ Betty White

“I love and adore Valerie Harper and have every confidence that she is dealing with this very difficult information in the best way possible. She’s one smart lady and I know she will handle her illness as she has handled everything else in her life…with intelligence, optimism and grace.” ~ Cloris Leachman

“Valerie is someone that I’ve learned a great deal from. Not just comedically but also in her ability to put whomever approached her, or worked with her, completely at ease with a laugh and an energy that’s intoxicating. My thoughts and love go out to her and her family.” ~ Jason Bateman

• Members

Beginning this Monday, Me-TV will celebrate the life and talent of Valerie Harper with episodes of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' featuring her character, Rhoda Morgenstern, Mary Richard's best friend and neighbor on the iconic classic television series. Watch each weeknight during the entire week at 9 PM / 8 C as Me-TV highlights some of the best episodes of her career.

9 PM The Mary Tyler Moore Show Love is All Around Mary Richards decides to move to Minneapolis after being jilted by her fiancé and there joins her friend, Phyllis. Mary's life changes forever when she applies for a secretarial job at WJM-TV, and when she moves into her new apartment, where she meets Rhoda Morgenstern.
9 PM The Mary Tyler Moore Show A Girl's Best Mother is Not Her Friend When Ida (Rhoda's mother) visits, she observes how well Phyllis and Bess get on, and how close Mary appears to be to her mother, so Ida attempts to be Rhoda's "friend."
9 PM The Mary Tyler Moore Show...is a Friend in Need Rhoda loses her job as a window-dresser and isn't in a hurry to find something new. When there is a job opening at WJM-TV, Mary lies to Rhoda and tells her the job has been filled, much to Lou's surprise.
9 PM The Mary Tyler Moore Show Some of My Best Friends are Rhoda Mary befriends a young woman, named Joanne. Rhoda becomes jealous when Mary spends more time with Joanne, but Mary quickly ends the new friendship when she discovers Joanne is anti-Semitic and disapproves of Rhoda.

9 PM The Mary Tyler Moore Show Rhoda: Minneapolis to New York Rhoda decides to move back to New York, but Mary is taking the whole thing with a grain of salt.

http://metvnetwork.com/harper.php

• Members

That's a pretty decent selection but I also would add the other Ida episodes, when Rhoda has a date with Mr and Mrs Armand Linton, Rhoda in the beauty pageant, Rhoda and Mary try to produce a sunday chat show starring Ted and Sue Ann, and maybe Rhoda and Phyllis's brother, and Rhoda redecorates Lou's house.

• Members

Same here, and I "Whoa'd" too AMS. Are they thinking Val might sit at home and watch and enjoy this tribute to herself? That is so sweet and sad and morbid and I just don't know how to feel about it.

• Members

I don't watch these channels anyway, because they cut up episodes, but that's not the list I would have chosen. They should have included the episode where Mary and Rhoda broke up as friends, the one where Rhoda thought she was dating a man who hit her with his car (one of my favorite episodes of any show ever), maybe the one where she dated Lou.

• Members

LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- Valerie Harper was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer on January 15 and the actress says hearing the news from her doctors was overwhelming.

“[The diagnosis] hit me like a sledgehammer,” Valerie — who recently penned a new book, “I, Rhoda,” — told People.

Her doctors explained that the type of cancer she has is very rare and progresses quickly – giving Valerie, 73, as little as three months to live.

“’Incurable’ is such a concise word,’” she told the mag, as her eyes filled up with tears. “I was terrified.”

Now, Valerie – who played the beloved Rhoda Morgenstern on “Rhoda” (as well as on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”) wants to give back to her fans while she still can.

“All my life, people have had a connection to me because of Rhoda,” she told the mag while gathering old scripts from her shows, which she said she recently brought into her house from the garage, in order to organize them in her final days. “Now there are things I want to share.”

Additionally, Valerie will be joining us on Access Hollywood Live on Tuesday — tune in!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/valerie-harper-terminal-diagnosis-hit-me-like-a-sledgehammer_article_76524

Archived