Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

dragonflies

• Members

my heart and prayers go out to to her :(

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20679402,00.html

Valerie Harper is facing a devastating diagnosis: terminal brain cancer.

The television icon – beloved for her role as brash New Yorker Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off, Rhoda – received the news on Jan. 15, she reveals to PEOPLE in this week's exclusive cover interview.

A battery of tests revealed she has leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare condition that occurs when cancer cells spread into the fluid-filled membrane surrounding the brain. Her doctors say she has as little as three months left to live.

Resolved to face her last days with courage and humor, "I don't think of dying," says the actress, 73, who previously battled lung cancer in 2009. "I think of being here now."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just heard about this. I'm so devastated for her and her family. I can't tell you how much I loved Rhoda on the MTM Show and how much I connected with her. She was funny and vulnerable and brave and she grew in believable, human ways. I don't think there have been more than a handful of characters on TV as perfect as Rhoda was in those years. She felt so real to me. She still does.

• Members
The friendship between Mary and Rhoda was believable and possibly my favorite of all time. It was one of the main factors in evolving both characters. It helped ground Mary and Rhoda grow. I still loved MTM but I always missed Rhoda and while I think it was time for Rhoda to spread her wings, I never enjoyed her show nearly as much. None of her relationships on that show were ever what she and Mary shared and I didn't like what the show changed to after her divorce. There was a caustic vibe to it.

I feel bad for she and her family. What an incredibly sad way to end ones life.

• Members

It also got the show off to such a great start. I was hooked immediately. As important as WJM was to the show, it was always Mary and Rhoda that made me care, and as much I liked much of the last 3 seasons, it was never quite the same without Rhoda.

• Members

Rhoda's spin-off became unbearable once she lost weight and they tried making her into a New York version of Mary. Rhoda was always supposed to be the antithesis of Mary, and the character wasn't the same otherwise.

The first two seasons or so were good, but after that? I'll pass.

My thoughts are with Valerie and her family...

• Members

Good lord. She's always been such a fun, classy lady. What a horrible shame.

I can't imagine living with that terminal diagnosis, particularly when it begins to affect the brain. Who would want to wait that out? I'd check myself out.

Archived