Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

dragonflies

• Members

I was wondering if that was the one you meant. I actually like that one a lot for some reason. It was the last theme of the series--it was cancelled midway through the 1978-1979 season, before the new year even began.

LOL it really is! I usually think of her as the mom in Radio Days, though (HUGE Woody Allen fan here biggrin.png) .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's really dawning on me just how attractive of a woman Valerie really is. I think I was brainwashed to not even consider her that way but look at the pictures of her at the beginning of those opening credits.

• Members

Valerie was always very pretty, even at the start of MTM. I always had mixed feelings about the weight loss stories and the message of them.

That opening is just kind of deflating. It seems like a wan copy of the MTM opening credits (the footage, not the music, which isn't too hot either). It also feels a little endless.

I think I'm the only person who associates Julie Kavner with the Tracey Ullmann Show.

• Members

I think that whole Valerie/Hogan Family thing made people think badly of her, whether it was warranted or not.

Personally, she was too good from the cliched, cheesy, and terrible television Miller-Boyett produced anyway. Going from MTM to Miller-Boyette is like a tragic a fall from grace...

• Members

I also think she was a very specific type for the 70s, and like many sitcom stars of that era, she never quite fit in to later decades of TV. I feel like she just never got that great part again. I would have enjoyed seeing her in a role that was totally different from Rhoda, like a repressed type of character.

• Members

I never really saw a difference between the MTM opening and the latter Rhoda openings. Bob Newhart's theme/opening blew them both out of the water, anyway.

OMG that video...just...she's too sweet for words. She's gonna leave behind a legacy of true strength, I just know it.

Archived