AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

Why aren't they designed to be that way?

Any soap is "designed" to be that way if they move to a new medium and model. Which these soaps have. You can watch them daily or release them weekly, whatever, but they're far from the first soap to use this model.

The Latin telenovelas and Korean dramas are very successful in this format, and Port Charles had its fair share of success with the model as well, at least early on. And again, Linda, you're giving no realistic alternative - these shows cannot run five days a week year-round anymore. They don't have the budget ABCD does. It's never going to happen. So what exactly is your alternative?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you. If you lost interest in the show after a 12 week or whatever break (but somehow can remember 10,20, 40 years of prior stories & character connections & often complain about them?), you must not be that into them anyway. We all obviously got back to AMC & OLTL after a break of more than a year.

I do think PP probably made more of a headache for themselves switching from a somewhat traditional model to this one than if they started telenovela style from the get-go. But I can't get too mad at them- they're essentially an independent company and they're trying to figure out what works. And really Linda, whether they start shooting second week of August or September doesn't matter a ton now- they're not trying to get caught up for a continuous run on Hulu. I do believe they'll be back in production. While I'd love to know a date, if Julia Barr & Robert Wilson don't seem that stressed about it & are happily talking about getting back "soon", I'm not going to worry either.

• Members

Totally agree Greens, I have no intel but what if we get 40 episode seasons of each show? That would work for me. Hell Id watch an episode weekly as long as the story held my intrest

I want Quality over Quantity

• Members

^^^This is what I was thinking. Have four 40-episode seasons per year that run for 10 weeks each. Take a 3-week break in between each season. During each week, release 1 episode each day, for a total of 4 episodes per week.

This means the show only has to tape 8 episodes per week -- I think that is doable. This also means that the show can tape an entire season in one taping cycle.

The "traditional soap" fans will be happy to have shows on daily, while PP hopefully has a model that works. And the folks that get behind can use the 3 week break to catch up.

• Members

If they wanna stay with 2 episodes released a week maybe 100 episodes yearly. That could be shot in 16 weeks. AMC & OLTL each tapes 4 cycles of 4 weeks and they crew can still take a 3 month hiatus in the summer like this year

• Members

I actually feel if PP had planned each show to produce 100 shows then they could have each filmed for 16 weeks , 4 weeks at a time and then they would only have to film 25 episodes a cycle. Thats around 6 episodes a week of each 4 week cycle. I feel if they did that from the beginning the money issue may not have occured with the union.

Maybe they will go this route for future. Seems feesable

• Members

@AllMyChildren & @OneLifeToLive fansplease dont buy into the panic that someone named, @ThSoapWhisperer is selling. The shows will return as Julia barr even claimed Thursay on @Michaelfairman's @TOLN's soap live radio show. #AMC begins filming In September, then OLTL soon afterward. Writers are still writing. Crew is getting ready and EP's @JenPepperman & Ginger Smith are at the studios prepping.

So lets support the shows and not give this SoapWhisperer any more power or importance

Have a great weekend all

• Members

It was known before that they wouldn't be back like they said they would and there are no dates yet. This is not news, and the rest is speculation. I'm not worrying yet, but if we don't get legit dates for taping etc, by Labor Day even if they push back to October, different story due to the lease issues and performer contracts.

Archived