GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a very close-minded statement in itself, I would suggest not throwing that phase around when all you have to base it on is your own opinion.

I think RC sucks, but I wouldn't call those who like his work and have obvious vitriol for Guza "close-minded." It can work both ways, and at the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference anyway.

• Members

I started writing a diatribe about why Higley's OLTL sucked, but I realized it became a marathon post about OLTL, which doesn't belong in the GH thread, lol. In a nutshell, I think Higley's OLTL was a plot-driven mess that left characters island-ed and usually unlikeable. Her OLTL was very alienating to longtime fans and she, with so much commitment, pushed her agendas regardless of feedback from the 'industry,' cast, and fans. Following Michael Malone (& Josh Griffith) made it so much worse, too; some blast their second stint, but Santi's and all, I thought they upheld a level of quality rarely felt on daytime. I'll give Higley props for Jess' DID (I know, an u.o. 'round here), refreshing John with Marty (even if it was Christina Chambers), and the infinitely significant and symbolic Cole/Starr pairing (don't misunderstand me, I was never much of a fan of the characters/couple or BB and I def. never understood, esp. later on, how either awful Alderson sibling kept their jobs but this couple represented SO much and more).

And I was a Higley sympathizer after she was fired from "Days" the first time, as I thought her vision was clear and focused, but her execution got all f'd up. But, boy, did I change my tune. Her second "Days" stint began horribly, IMO, but she struck at gold with the baby switch and managed to do the unthinkable--transition "Days" out of the super couple shit and create a new set of post-J&M/B&H/J&J leads. But then she lost her mojo entirely in '11, after a shaky '10.

I think RC's OLTL was mostly really good until Mar. '10 and it has nothing to do with Higley's blunder tenure. I thought he refocused the core characters, made the canvas connective again, and wrote sharp stuff. His OLTL was never particularly deep, but he was self-referential and his OLTL knew it was a soap . . . the meta camp really worked, IMO. And his OLTL was never, ever lacking un heart, IMO.

Now, after all that, I think RC's GH is, well let me put it this way, not for me. My hatred for Guza & Pratt knows no bounds, but regardless, I don't think RC is a good fit for GH--the GH I grew up with was, for better or worse, very dark and gritty and this campy, OTT stuff (which I loved on OLTL) isn't working for me. I think RC glazes over a lot on GH and I don't think it's supposed to be this fun. I know that sounds craze, but there it is. Basically, what I want from GH was what GW was trying to do--a dark, reflexive show that highlighted everyone's flaws, rather than glazing over them or making them funny. GW made some big mistakes and he couldn't pace, but his vision was most in line with mine. BTW, I liked what I saw of Guza's 90's stint pre mid-'98 . . . but ITDA with some who claim he crafted these good, overall stories . . . the only one I thought was solid was Brenda's '02 return/Luis' murder, but that was chockfull of his (and Pratt's) destructive agenda(s) that wound up completely destroying the show later.

• Members

So I was ALL for shirtless Patrick & Michael on Fri.'s show! lol. The Carly/Michael scenes were a hot mess, though . . . but I guess they have a very erratic relationship, and very erratic personalities.

I'm glad Luke's MIA for the Duke/Faison stuff, but it's too bad we won't get scenes with him and Robert. Meanwhile, John is getting more and more random on the canvas.

And I still can't deal with not having BW on as AJ. I'm usually so fine with recasts, but I guess this is one of the rare instances where character and actor went SO hand-in-hand with me. In Q relation, I hope Skye's back soon!

• Members

That's pretty juvenile, VH - and totally backwards. We don't care that you like Cartini, but you won't allow us to hate them. How many times have you seen a "you know those Cartini lovers...". Never! And your only defense to why Cartini are so wonderful is that he isn't Guza and/or the show was in bad shape when they got it. Guza's been over for 18 months, so let's just stop beating that horse. It's no big deal to some of us that so many misguided souls love Cartini, but for some odd reason, it matters too much to you guys that we don't. And why is it that you are the only person who can criticize those 2 inept bozos? Why is it more valid than our complaints?

I'd love for GH to be written better, but I don't think that will happen under the current regime. They only offer bells and whistles - Connie Falconeri (aka Tess Buchanan) and the dumbing down of every character involved to make this thing work. It's a travesty! But what can you really expect from 2 people totally obsessed with rape and mental illness? And who came up with "ReRon" - certainly not GH fans because we didn't give 2 chits about him before he came to the show and we don't now.

There was quite a few things wrong with this hack, but my biggest problem was Spencer Truman, the year OLTL died. She spent an entire year telling this man's story, and much like Connie/Kate, it changed each week with none of it making any sense. Paul Satterfield was heinous - on every day and the character's name was coming out of everyone's mouth. It was the worst I'd ever seen OL (until Ron came along). I thought Spencer's story would never wrap up. Dena and Frank really took OLTL to the dogs that year. I'm trying to figure out who Paul was messing around with, Dena or Frank? They thew away the gay politician story (Nora's husband was a closeted gay man having an affair with his son's best friend - who throws this story away?) to spend a year, A YEAR, on Spencer Truman. I'm still traumatized. I never want to see her name attached to a soap again! NEVER!

Archived