GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

I can't say that I'm surprised that Ron didn't touch the charges of racial stereotyping with a 50-foot pole, as he'd rather defend his right to write Felix as a lipstick-carrying gay man than address the fact that he is two steps away from being the soap version of Hollywood Montrose (whose only purpose is to provide the [non]-Black folk with comfort and sass).

This is precisely why I didn't want to see any Black characters debut under Ron's watch.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Nurses have balls?" Ha.

I like how the introduction of the lipstick made some viewers jump to preconceived notions about the character when there's actually a more unexpected career connection to be revealed. The only answer to TV "controversies" like this one is greater minority representation. One minority can't be everything to everybody. Especially a character like Felix who is black AND gay. In daytime, there's room for black gay men of all types, from the Shemar Moore/Marcus Patrick type, through the Cornelius Smith type, up to the Nathan Purdees and James Reynoldses. I know black gay guys who would make Felix look butch, there's no reason why there *can't* be a character like that on soaps. But until you've got more than a handful of black or gay faces in daytime, people are going to pick apart the very few examples that do pop up. Give a black and/or gay character the focus of a Sonny/Todd/John/Carly/Connie/Sam instead of having four black people on your show, two of whom are sassy nurses who probably won't ever get any play, and you're less likely to face criticism.

• Members

Reading this post with the spoilery parts hidden reminds me of when I used to play Mad Libs.

Meanwhile, I'm still tripping over the name "Felix." It was bad enough that Y&R had Neil and Sofia name their baby "Moses." Now we have a brutha running around GH with the name "Felix" (whose drag name is "Felicia," no doubt)? Whatever happened to when Black men had decent names, like Tyrell and DeQuan?

• Members

I will jump in as a black, gay, L'Oreal True Match Super-blendable powder wearing male and PROUD ANTI-RON CARLIVATI GH watcher to say... I saw nothing wrong with Felix. Between Felix and Sabrina, I think Sabrina is the worst "stereotype." A girl, who is a student nurse, that blushes like she's 12 whenever Patrick comes around shirtless? A student nurse that doesn't know how to brush her hair? A woman in her early 20s that never applied LIPSTICK before? THAT'S the stereotype I have a problem with. But Felix is true to life. He's true to me, actually. I remember being in my early 20s running around with drag queens, being completely fascinated with the life... but they shunned me because, according to them "bitch, you dress too much like a boy! You know you LIVE!" And, yeah, I did, but I was also me. But to them, they felt I was trying to present a hetero-normal appearance instead of embracing what they thought MY GAY should be. I was out, in life and at work, but still I wasn't "gay" enough for this group of gay men. The thing is, there are levels and there are layers. No one gay black male is going to be THE representative. Within black culture there are all kinds of road blocks that even black gay men can't understand, much less a gay Italian soap "writer." For instance, you look at 17 year old rap artist "Chief Keef" and his video "...I Don't Like." That dude is a gangbanger, bouncing around shirtless with other shirtless males, arms wrapped around each other without a single female in sight... yet that's what "straight" men do. A black man wears skinny jeans and suddenly he's gay? So to expect a perfect representation of a black gay male from a white gay writer -- when black males as a whole have a LOAD of issues that need to be worked out is damn near impossible.

I like Felix. The actor is selling it. The writing... sucks, but I know characters like the Felix character. I just think Carlivati failed in having Felix wield his CoeCoe lipstick while in scrubs. That's a scene that could've been played in the locker room. He could've reached into his locker and pulled it out from his murse -- which I have, as well.

ETA: Heeeeey, Xavier!

Archived