GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

Even worse than Spencer was her John & Natalie, IMO. Thank God someone put a stop to that. RC went on record in Dec. '07 that he felt they didn't work together, so it's sad someone made him revisit them a few years later. But Spencer Truman is a great example of her commitment to her storytelling, regardless of how it was turning out. It's almost like she balls to the wall would never back down on OLTL because she felt so screwed by "Days." Her second "Days" stint was def. her best, but this woman lacks execution and day-to-day quality/meaningfulness. This is honestly how I felt about Guza post-summer '07, but a lot of people 'round here seem to think his team consistently submitted well thought out scripts. I thought there was no flow and everything was limited and circular.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't mean that the scenes were bad, I should've been clearer. They were just SO all over the place, IMO. Which works, because they're very all over the place people. (Again, JMO.)

I think LW and CD work very well together--it seems to be an u.o. 'round here, but I think both actors are perfectly cast, and this is from a SB/esp. TB fan and I thought Drew Garret worked well, too. But to me, LW is everything Carly needs to be and CD has the miniJason thing down pat. They interact similarly to Carly/Jason, but I think there's a lot more heart and complexity with these two--there's kinda like a palpable desperation present in both . . . both desperate to be understood, while knowing they won't be.

I can understand where you're coming from about the writing for Michael. AJ is (or was) my favorite daytime character, so I've been waiting for this story for over a decade, but this is happening a year or two too late. Summer '10 was when I think this story needed to be told and it would've worked well summer '11, too. But Michael has repeatedly displayed his unwavering, blind loyalty for Sonny, even if it's totally at Carly's expense. Under GW and even Guza a bit (but not really), it felt like Carly's curse--that she worked overtime to eliminate AJ and have Sonny be Michael's dad all for it to backfire . . . she watched, in horror, as Michael descended into mob life (after shooting Kate, getting shot, driving an axe into Claudia's skull, going to prison, and getting raped) and loose respect for her. It was Carly at her best (Spring '08 and summer/fall '11), IMO. So the fact that he's JUMPING into this with AJ and doubting her and, esp., Sonny is abrpt, if not downright OOC. But I can also understand how those who were SO OVER mob-centrism and the S/C/J worship are rejoicing that other, dare I say, more logical points-of-view are being represented.

I've always had a thing for JT and I have to admit that I think CD is the cutest little thing. But, ya, he could benefit from hitting the gym. I read somewhere he was doing these intenso workouts with Scott Reeves, but those obvs. stopped, lol.

• Members

ITDA. They're both meta, sure . . . but that's where it ends. I know a lot of people on this board disagree, but I think RC's very clever and he actually writes "ohmy.png" stuff, for better or worse (I know I walked right into it with that). I have never seen a worse writer than Reilly, OMG. His first two years on "Days" were clearly tempered by someone, but even then, it was the simplest form of storytelling and without any of the irony or sharp wit that RC can bring. By '96, I think "Days" couldn't have been a more pitiful example of the laziest form of 'writing' ever. I know a lot of people have lots o' nostalgia for that period, and I think it was somewhat redeeming insofar as we can look back and laugh, but it was mindless and crippled the show for over ten years because it cemented J&M, B&H, and J&J as the leads and limited story potential because "Days" was stuck as a "couples show." I won't even touch "Passions" or his second stint at "Days."

RC has a lot of Reilly's bad tendencies but I could never put them in the same category, let alone suggest RC's a bad Reilly copycat.

• Members

I think background checks should have been completed on both before any guild memberships were issued. Reilly and Ron are cut from very similar cloth. Reilly could have written Connie's "story" with ease. With that man, the chit just flowed - like diarrhea. With Ron, he has to put quite a bit of effort into the crap, and this makes him worse because of all the time and thought he puts in, rotgut is almost always the result - he believes he's delivering a good product and stomps his feet when criticized. Reilly? Not sure what was going on in his head, but I'm pretty sure it was a scary ass place to be!

• Members

I'm not defending the Connie story, but if JER were writing it, no one would even know about her yet and half of Kelly Sullivan's airtime would be spent in a mirror. Well, maybe Maxie would know, who'd be blackmailed into silence.

I already stated I think RC's a bad fit for GH, the Connie story serving as a prime example, but there have been twists and turns and in-jokes. None of them have been good, but they're there. Reilly was, so much more than any daytime writer I've ever encountered, utterly stupefying.

Archived