GH: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members
i really wouldn't say this baby switch is a recycled from the dead baby lie. The only thing they share in common is that Todd let a mother think her baby is dead. The relationship he has with them and how everything came together and played out is completely different

As for Carly, I don't think she's necessarily the new Blair. The 2 serve similar roles and are written alike but Carly doesn't come with all the baggage and history that Blair does. The pairing is new and refreshing without that to bog it down. Todd doesn't share the same dynamic with Carly as he did Blair. His relationship so far isn't a rehash of that toxic one in which they brought out the worse in each other

Could Blair be popular on GH? Possibly but not if she's brought on merely to be an appendage to Todd and remind us he had a life on another soap before GH. Unless there is investment in actually moving the character forward I don't see much hope for her

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would agree Carly isn't like Blair, but the show had those early scenes with Blair and Carly which all but said they were the same.

I feel like if the baby switch wasn't done to knock off his first baby switch story, they wouldn't have involved him. They wanted the angst with Tea, and then when Blair finds out I guess the angst with her. They didn't seem very interested in the rest of the story (focusing more on John/Sam than Sam's pain over losing another child).

I can't help thinking that the only real goal with the OLTL characters so far has been to give them love interests. Other areas, like strong relationships or ties to the rest of the canvas, have been very slow going. Even the supposed feuds, like Sonny/John and Johnny/Todd, just feel flat.

It works for Todd, if people enjoy him with Carly, and John, if people like him with Sam (I don't know what to say about Starr as they don't seem to know who they're pairing her with), but I can't say that they're firmly rooted in Port Charles as of yet.

• Members

Frankly, I see nothing similar about Carly original incarnation (when played by Sarah Brown or hell Tamara Brauwn for that matter) and Blair. What's the similarity - they're blonde (after Blair stopped being Asian)?

The original Carly was a much more complex character than I've ever perceived Blair to be. That was all watered down with time though, so I guess that's where this supposed similarity stems from?

• Members
not original Carly but the Carly since she became linked to Sonny. There were too many parallels between Todd/Blair and Sonny/Carly especially the toxic love/hate relationship both characters had

i wouldn't describe her as that as her Carly has always seemed to be more of an aggressor, not damsel. She usually was on top of her man written like she was in charge. The roles are reversed with her now and I think she 's showing some range as she's not as over the top and in your face as she once was

• Members

Oh, I meant that Wright can't play the aggressor role convincingly (which they used to write for her all the time), which is why they're trying to write to her strengths, and Howarth is probably one of the few men she's had a semblance of chemistry with since she started on the show, so they're trying to shoehorn that pairing because of it.

• Members

There was no great reason to have the baby switch story in the first place, other than to focus on OLTL history. I think it's one of the reasons Todd hasn't fit in as well as he might have. They should have never done it. If they wanted Tea to come back and forth they could have just had her show up for Starr.

• Members

I know I'm biased but Todd is working out quite nicely and lord knows I fought that one tooth and nail. My challenge with this character? We are getting every beat of his story while driving through the critical parts of the GHers (reminds me, I have to tweet 2 clowns). What do I mean you ask? Jason just passed, and we are getting more of Todd's involvement in the baby switch and how it relates to Jason than we are getting his two best friends mourning him. CarSon were limited to 2 scenes the other day and Carly's grief then anger then sadness was wrapped up in one scene. Then she goes to Todd? Of course, I would take a Tarly scene over just about anything else, but the imbalance is hard to miss. Another example you ask? JaSam, who I loathe, were given 1 day of a reunion and everything came together in less than a week, but the baby reveal and Todd's involvement played out over 2 solid weeks and Todd was on every day. Calling foul again! What they should have done with JaSam is have them reconnect over a week as a family and then let tragedy strike. Not them coming together getting back a child thought to be dead for 6 months, dumping him in a crib and going to the bedroom to screw only to be interrupted by Jason's fate. By the commercial break, JaSam were done. That's insane! Sam should not have wanted to take her eyes off of that baby (of course, KeMo and that child is a joke, but I'm trying to make a point here). We didn't need 2 weeks of Todd Manning while driving thru everything else.

As for the other two implants? The less said the better! I can't take those two at all!

Archived