Spin off's that were better than the original

dragonflies

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was a kid, they used to do these Friday night previews of the new Saturday morning lineup (those were the days!). One year, the NBC special centered around a group of teens challenged to locate the new Saturday morning lineup. When they found it, just under the bell, they met a Wizard of Oz type figure played by Sherman Hemsley (then starring in Amen) who awarded them with a show that would follow their lives, aptly titled Saved by the Bell. I'm not making this up.

• Members

SBTB was definitely a revamp.

Speaking of revamps, does anyone remember the short-lived show called The Torkelsons? It was about a single mom raising 5 kids. It lasted a short while, and then they revamped it where suddenly the mom had only 3 kids and she moved in to a single father's home with 2 kids of his own to be his maid or something to that degree. The single father was played by Perry King and his daughter was played by Brittany Murphy. The show was called Almost Home. I LOVED this revamped show, but once again it didn't last long. They played it on Saturday nights on NBC during the Golden Girls/Empty Nest early 90's era.

Love that people here are saying Melrose Place > 90210. I think 90210 is more iconic and more remembered, especially its highschool years, but boy when Melrose took off in season 2, it was CAN'T-MISS soapy TV, and definitely my favorite over the other.

• Members

I love 90210 and MP for two different reasons. I associate them because they were set in the same time and place, but I go to MP's glory days for soapy melodrama, while I go to 90210's glory days for earnest teen drama. I can't watch the earnest first few episodes of MP, nor can I watch the wannabe soapy later years of 90210.

• Members

People say God looks out for the workin' man... Sure hope He's lookin' out for me...♫ My mother LOVED The Torkelsons and I had such a crush on Dorothy Jane. I have to say, I think the original series was better than the glossy revamp. I thought the Torkelsons (meaning the characters) got cheapened, they weren't as warmly and richly drawn in Almost Home. The Torkelsons was kind of a dramady and that was all scrapped. For instance, the Joey Lawrence episode of Almost Home where Dorothy Jane and Brittany Murphy are drooling over him and literally rip his shirt off. The whole thing kind of reminds me of that classic sell your soul thing in Hollywod, like that episode of Family Guy when Brian's pilot gets picked up.

(*Dorothy Jane in her window box talking to the man in the moon* wub.png )

Archived