Spin off's that were better than the original

dragonflies

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Still thinking, but I was never really into the Cosby Show as I was into A Different World. That show, post-Denise era, was awesome. I wasn't even of college age at the time, but I loved me some Whitley Gilbert and her sassy voice. When I saw Jasmine Guy on Melrose Place, I was freaked out a little bit (I was 12 or 13 when she was on MP).

• Members

All in the family was the first very "fertil" show. it "gave birth" to Jeffersons, Maude, and sort of Archie Bunker's place. then Maude spun off Good Times. and i am willing to bet there were short lived spin off's too i just can't think of them. I'm thinking something having to do with the Jeffersons' maid Florence. she left for a while and they had thought of spinning her off or they did and it tanked quickly so they brought her back to Jeffersons. I really don't remember.

You know i almost forgot that Family Matters was a spin off of Perfect Strangers. I haven't seen the show in a very long time but wasn't Harriott just a semi-regular (if that) on Strangers. She was the elevator lady right? ironic that they spun her off, a minor character and then the show took off because of Urcle. it could have been renamed the Urcle show by the second se4ason because that's all people watched to see. and the mother was even replaced (badly) in the final season.

My favorite spin off is Knots Landing...a spin off of Dallas even though Knots Landing was in the minds of the producers first. The network said No way so they created Dallas. When Dallas became a huge hit, they came back to the producers and said something like, "That show about the cul-de-sac...if you put a Ewing in it, we'll take it." and that's how it became a spin-off. then of course after the dream season on Dallas, they producers decided to keep the two shows seperate with no more cross-overs. I love my Donna Mills!

Archived