Spin off's that were better than the original

dragonflies

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I consider them spin offs, and so does Wikipedia and that's good enough source for me. laugh.png

Voyager maybe less so, but DS9 for sure. Before DS9 launched, TNG started beefing up Miles O'Brien's role in order to prepare/test viewers of him being a main character, which he was when he moved over from TNG to DS9 and so did Worf after TNG ended.

• Members

isn't a spinoff when a character is on one show then basically moves to another show, like Jake from Melrose Place was on BH 90210 and Kelly from 90210 was on MP.

I don't see them as spin off's. Like Wings isn't a spin off of Cheers even though Cheers characters appeared on Wings

• Members

I dont think there is one for me...lol

The Jeffersons was just as great as All In The Family....and Maude was just as good as All In The Family.......Good Times ..ditto....thats all you can ask for in a spinoff...success and just as good and they all had it.

The show I wish would have worked was The Ropers.....I really liked them but their costars made the show rather dull.

• Members

That's a type of spin off, but that's not the complete definition of spin off. A Spin off, is the process of deriving new radio, video game, movie series, book series or television programs from existing ones. http://spinoff.askdefine.com/

It doesn't have to include a character moving from one show to another. TNG would be a spin off the Original, because while a character doesn't move, the idea & premise behind the Original does and is a part of the same continuity, as a posed to a remake or re imagining, which does not.

• Members

O'Brien was a part of TNG from very early on. He then was a part of DS9 from the start. Viewers were invested in DS9 in large part because of O'Brien and his wife. I don't see how that isn't a spinoff. It's not a crossover because O'Brien never went back and forth.

• Members

No a crossover is a when a character(s) from two separate or unrelated universes/franchises meet. Best examples would be The Jetsons meet the Flintstones or Freddie vs Jason. Those are crossovers. Miles O'Brien moving from TNG to DS9 isn't a crossover because both shows are apart of the same franchise and story universe.

Archived