Melissa Reeves Hates Gays

ivanmmd

• Members

But that's "your" definition and no one is taking it away from you.

I think it's been well said that she is entitled to her opinion, and people who think like her are as well. But when your opinion encroaches on another American's civil liberties to equal protection under the law, that is when free speech ends and discrimination begins.

No one is voting on your right, no one is taking away your right; but to a minority group, whether it be gay/lesbians, women, or racial minority group, it's unfair under the constitution itself for the majority to decide for the minority.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chick Fil A gives money to countries that want to kill gays. What does that have to do with the definition of marriage?

She's applauding a company that gives money to groups who want to kill gay people and see us as pedophiles. What does that have to do with a pride float?

• Members

This is just something impossible to discuss, people are so firmly planted into what thy believe is wrong and right, discussing it back and forth on a Soap Board of all places, won't do anyone any good.

Melissa is free to help support a bigoted company all she wants, but don't expect people to smile and bat their eyelashes at it.

This is just stupid, I'm soo over politics and religion. Two things that were built on the foundation to help and to build people up...are now used as nothing more than to outmaneuver one group over the other. As a person whose background is rooted in two groups, who have been oppressed and told they were less than, it's just sad to see that this country will never learn from it's mistakes.

• Members

Amen to shawn! I am gay, but the intolerance we're seeing is unbelievable. The Thought Police appear everytime their politically correct ideas are challenged.

I have many liberal and conservative friends. My conservative friends enjoy debating me, and trying to get me to see their opinion. My liberal friends simply try to shut the opposition up. It's an odd position for me to state, but "liberals" are far more frightening to me.

As for the person who said that Melissa's post showed no courage....yeah, it takes no courage at all to state your opposition to changing the definition of marriage while working in the entertainment field. Right.

• Members

This is the last time I'll ask this and then I'll stop, but do you realize that this isn't about gay marriage for many people? Chick Fil A gives money to hate groups. Melissa Reeves is giving money to hate groups and going on Twitter about how great this is.

Is it OK if we don't agree with gay people being put in jail, or murdered? Is it OK if we don't think celebrating a company that gives money to this is great? is that somehow attacking her free speech?

• Members

I'm all for positive protest but I don't see where that is going to do any good. It won't show CFA the error of their ways. It'll just feed into their persecution narrative. Better to give time/energy/money to companies that did the right thing.

• Members

Yup. It's one thing to have an opinion rooted in your religious beliefs and to act accordingly. It's another to support actively contributing money to efforts that work to remove rights from and demonize an entire population. There's a difference between continuing to eat at Chick-Fil-A and posting a message on a much-publicized day that essentially says you support everything they believe in.

I'm not going to join the group calling for her to be fired or killed or whatever, but I find it disappointing. I don't need everyone to support same-sex marriage, but there's a difference between "Live and let live" and actively working to prevent something that does not personally affect you at all.

• Members

It is her right to believe in and support what she believes, and she shouldn't be bashed beyond recognition because of it.I am a gay Republican. Should i be drawn and quartered because it doesn't bode well with other people?

People will continue to eat there. I myself haven't, but many good and decent people in my life have. Some people need to get down off of the cross because someone needs the wood.

• Members

The whole point of making a celebration of going there is to be on the cross. Look at how mean people are to me because of my beliefs!

I don't really know what people are saying that's so unfair. Most here aren't calling for her firing, or going on Twitter in a tirade.

People have a right to believe whatever they want, but it goes way beyond "religious freedom" when gays are being murdered. That's what Chick Fil A $$$ does. People who are upset about that are not some type of horrible liberal devils who are persecuting this poor put-upon actress. And when she Tweets about how she is celebrating "free speech" with money that goes to such horrible laws and practices, then I am disgusted, as I am disgusted any time someone makes a production of this. Presumably she doesn't know what they do with that money, but I just get tired of hearing people say how dare everyone be upset because she doesn't support gay marriage. Gay marriage is the least of my problems with this.

• Members

Sure, she has every right to spout whatever ill-informed opinion she wants. As a public figure, or as any human being with access to social media or any such soap box, she's entitled to that.

However, part of free speech is the fact that others have just as much right to criticize her ill-informed opinion all they want. Don't threaten violence, but criticize. People have every right to demand she be fired. Corday also has every right to disregard those calls.

I agree that she probably isn't a moustache-twirling villain in all this, she just doesn't understand that freedom of speech includes freedom to criticize speech, nor does she understand how frightening this company's donations are. Marriage equality is neither here nor there in all this, it's the frightening, murderous causes they're supporting abroad that's the problem.

What kind of decent person is willing to put a fast food company's right to propagate bigotry over the lives of innocent people? Only one who hasn't done their research, and I think that's where MR, as well as most reasonable, well-intentioned people who are supporting Chick-Fil-A are at right now.

Archived