WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Doesn't WLS do a "Greatest of All Time" list every year?

Re: Luke and Noah---being "first" doesn't entitle you to a spot on an "all-time" list in my book. Didn't AMC's Bianca and Maggie pave the way for Nuke? (Or Bianca and that Russian girl?) Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann had ZERO chemistry. IMO. Other than Gus/Harley, they may have been the worst "most popular" couple in the history of soaps (or at least CBS soaps.) IMO.

While I still don't think Otalia deserves a place either on an "all-time" list---at least half of that duo could act.

• Members

I think we have to define what "greatest" means. If it's popularity and impact then I do think Nuke deserve to be on the list because they definitely did impact the soap community, if you are rating it by quality then that is ridiculously messy and there is no way to be objective about that. Luke and Noah were a big deal for gay men in soaps, Bianca and Maggie/Frankie were a big deal for lesbians in soaps. I think both should deserve spots for their contributions to Daytime. It's a small price to pay in my opinion since 96% of the list is going to be heterosexual/hetero-normative anyway. The list (in my opinion at least) should be a list that values all the aspects of the soap community, that means also looking at diversity and incorporating it into their list in terms of importance. Excluding gays and lesbians from this list would be just as bad to me as excluding Blacks/African American's Jesse and Angie and Interracial Couples like Noah and Julia.

• Members

You're right, "greatest" needs a better definition. If the list is "Couples that Changed/Impacted Daytime", I'd understand Nuke's (or Lure's even) inclusion.

I would never advocate exclusions based on race or gender. But I can't ignore the quality of the acting either. Whether Nuke's impact was made because of or in spite of the acting is up for history to decide.

But it is occassionally fun to debate.

• Members

Precisely. Which is why I hate lists like this, whether they're from WLS, TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, or whatever. It's all so subjective and people shouldn't get up in arms by a list that is by no means definitive and reflects the opinions of a small group.

And who else here is not a couples person? Angie and Jesse and Greg and Jenny are the only two couples I can say I honestly had affection for, and that had a lot to do with the charisma and strengths of the individuals and a wonderfully endearing era of writing. I can say Dimitri>>>>Jack for Erica, but beyond that, couples aren't really me thing. I'm all about the individual character.

• Members

Phillip & Beth were my favorite couple before I began watching OLTL, and even though I think Judi Evans was wonderful as Beth, there's just something Beth Chamberlin had with Grant Aleksander that was different--and IMO, better for their characters as adults.

But at the end of the day, it's still about Max & Gabrielle for me.

• Members

Chamberlin, before they totally decimated the Beth character, had a certain sexual spark and edge with Aeksander that Evans never had.

While I think Judi did some great work as Beth, I never thought she was anything special on AW or DAYS (as Adrienne).

Well, I did kind of like Bonnie...

• Members

I liked Chamberlin in some moments (especially when she was Lorelei, and the affair with Ben Warren), but they never seemed to write a balance for Beth; BC's Beth went from victim to bitch.

I'm sorry Cord and Tina weren't a little higher, but at least they were on the list. Andrea and John had some of the sweetest, purest romantic chemistry of any soap couple, IMO. It was just so natural.

Archived