WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As expected everyone is up in arms and questioning why certain couples are on the list, why certain couples aren't etc.... It's just a list! If you don't agree with it, fine, make your own list! There is no right or wrong with these things. You'll never get a list that everyone agrees on, because we're all biased in favor of our favorite couples.

I don't agree with everything on the list so far, but it could have been worse. Did you see the suggestions WLS got from the readers?! Some of them were just blink.png

• Members

Yeah...uh, it's not exactly a representative sampling of soap opera fans. I've never even heard of Bill&Tess from LOL. That's not to say they're not deserving, but any list that has BOTH Luke/Noah and O/Natalia has "fan block voting" written all over it.

Thus B&B has probably got exactly one couple on it. Unless of course, the Tridge fans found out about it before the Bridge fans.

• Members

Isn't it more interesting to debate about the list then just say, "We have no opinion"?

As for "Nuke" and "Otalia", I can see why they were on there if the list was supposed to represent diversity. But it tells you just what poor representation gay couples have had on soaps.

• Members

Bianca and Maggie will probably on there too to represent the lesbians. I actually don't have a problem with them mentioning gay pairings, there are only like three of them in the 70+ history of soaps anyway. That seems like such a small thing to complain about.

• Members

I'm all for debating the list, but it seems a lot of people dismiss it right away just because their personal favorite couple isn't on it. This is not the definitive list. It's the opinion of the people behind the WLS site. But I think they've done a good job so far. They've tried to include couples from different eras, and couples that might be somewhat forgotten now, but who were important once.

As for Luke & Noah, which seems to be a couple most here don't want on the list, I think they do deserve to be there. (But I'm probably biased, since I seem to be one of the few here that actually liked them). But which other couple in the last few years have had the impact on their show (and maybe somewhat on daytime as a whole) that they had. Sure, their stories became worse all the time, and their screentime was almost non-existant at times, but no-one can deny that they were hugely popular in the beginning, and they can most certainly take some of the credit for the ratings boost that ATWT got during the fall and winter of 2007-08 when the show went from being #6 in the ratings to #3. And without the popularity of Luke & Noah we might not have had Olivia & Natalia or Kyle & Oliver.

• Members

The funny thing is I did sort of like Noah and Luke. I just don't think they should be in the top 50. This is for all soaps, for 60 years. I can appreciate that they were important to ATWT's last years, and that they were the most popular gay couple on US daytime television. But I don't think they should be the top 50.

My issue with the list is more who is on there than who isn't, but I'm definitely not dismissing the list. I agree with some of the choices. I appreciate the effort to include older couples. If Daytime Confidential had done this list, Rex and Gigi would be in the top 5. I may complain about some results but that's only because I care enough to complain.

• Members

Well if We Love Soaps wants to publish a list on the top 50 supercouples of all time, then they have to expect some criticism. If they don't expect it, they certainly can't expect raves for it either. I think they've left off two very popular supercouples and I think some couples should be ranked higher. If We Love Soaps can't deal with it, then they shouldn't publish the list.

Archived