WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They also don't seem to realize that this type of writing makes many fans resent, and outright loathe, couples.

I also hate the idea that a couple must reunite, because of history, or as some type of sop. I don't think I've ever hated this more than Clint and Viki on OLTL, where I thought Viki lost a great deal of integrity by going anywhere near Clint in a way beyond pitying ex.

I thought it was interesting how GL and ATWT tried to split the difference with some of their defining couples. Josh and Reva reunited, but viewers knew Jeffrey was still alive, and Reva waited a year. Holden and Lily were hinted at reuniting in the future, but hadn't actually done so. I guess this was less about brave writing than about backstage personnel at that time not being too interested in these pairings.

• Members

I'm very surprised to see Tom and Margo as the top couple from ATWT (so far). My top three would have been Holden/Lily, then Steve/Betsy, then Jack/Carly. I missed the days of Justin Deas' Tom, but I do remember Margaret Colin fondly. To me, though, the Hillary Smith/Gregg Marx pairing were Tom and Margo at their peak...such chemistry!

• Members

Ugh...the couple I truly can't stand as the #1 ATWT couple???? HELL TO THE NO. I'm sorry....there ought to be some kind of "excessive recast" clause that throws them out of this race. 'Cause the Deas/Colin couple is worlds away from the Holmes/Dolan pairing.

I try to be open-minded---but let me repeat----HELL to the NO!

• Members

This list sucks and I'm not surprised. How exactly can any couple that was hugely popular in the 80's (which was the golden age of soaps) be lower than those that came after the 80's? I certainly didn't expect anything though. I don't even know why they bother with stupid lists like these.

• Members

It's interesting to hear from panels and so on, instead of just fan votes. I do agree that a lot of the more recent couples just can't compare.

As for Tom/Margo, I do think they belong on the list. Colin/Deas don't do a ton for me (mostly because they're both so OTT, especially Colin, who often seems like she's about to fly away in most of the ATWT work I've seen from her), but I really liked HBS/Marx and I thought Holmes and Dolan were very good in their first 4-5 or so years together. I'd definitely put them above Lily/Holden (never liked them) and Carly/Jack (who were crippled by years of bad writing), but not above Bob/Kim.

• Members

ICAM! It stunned me to see such classic supercouples as AMC's Nina & Cliff and Greg & Jenny so low on this list. At this point, I expect the top 10 to include such awful pairings as AMC's Zach & Kendall and Ryan & Greenlee, GL's Danny & Michelle and OLTL's John & Natalie.

• Members

Sad to say that I'm practically ATWT illiterate. Of the little that I know I'm not surprised to see Jack/Carly on that list but since they came on at the end of the 90's (if I'm not mistaken) I'm pretty sure just from what I've heard that there is plenty of great romances and couples that came before them.

Not to say that those after the 80's can't be on the list but top 20 or 30? Nah. I'm really tripping off the fact that Frisco & Felicia and Robert & Anna are below Sonny and Brenda. I'm also scratching my head over Robert & Holly not being on the list at all and that's just the GH side of things, so far. I wasn't watching in the 80's but I've been catching up with people who have and by watching old tapes and clips on youtube. I'm fairly certain that Robert & Holly were the supercouple more so than R&A.

I also don't get why Greg and Jenny are so low on the list and I don't think I saw Jesse and Angie at all. Like I said, I wasn't watching back then but when I started watching soaps in the early 00's I started researching the history of all the soaps I was watching and back then these couples and the people who played them were HUGE celebrities. They were get attacked by mobs everytime people saw them type celebrities. Their impact was much greater which qualifies them as being truer supercouples ( a term I think should've been retired in the 80's as it didn't really apply to anyone after) than many of the ones who have been placed higher on this list.

• Members

Not saying that there aren't or weren't but supercouple to me implies many things to me (ie. popularity, cultural impact, ratings, story etc.). And no, not every couple from that era was good or any other era but they certainly qualify more than those that came after.

• Members

I love everything about this post. However, I do think Jesse & Angie will make the list. Truly, they are the first AA supercouple and transcend a lot of couples just because of that. Heck, Greg & Jenny were more popular than Jesse & Angie but I probably would put J&A above G&J. Other than that, I agree 100% with your post. Bravo.

Archived