WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Members

Robert and Holly are not on the list. It said so in the description of Robert and Anna. I'm not going to get into the nitpickyness of one couple beating another couple on this list but when a big supercouple from 80sGH doesn't even make the list, something is wrong.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never accepted Beth compared to Judi. When I started watching GL it was all about Beth and Lujack. Phillip was the pest that brought that couple endless grief. He was the 'villain' trying to ruin anti-hero Lujack's relationship with Beth. I didn't see the Grant/Judi pairing until years later, and yes, I saw the chemistry and the sweetness of the love they shared. After getting the whole picture of the Beth/Phillip relationship pre-Lujack I began to believe that Grant left GL because he didn't like to be cast as villainous troublemaker when previously he was part of such a lovely story line.

I guess in the long run it turned out to be Beth and Lujack who had a 'brief moment in the sun' and Beth and Phillip who were the enduring couple. But, personally, I have always thought that killing Lujack off was the beginning of the end for GL. I know they had many years on air after VI left as Lujack, but I never watched the show the same way again, and always thought of PHILLIP as Beth's second choice, the man she settled for because Lujack was dead.

I guess Lujack and Beth aren't going to make the top 50, but they'd be top 10 on my list.

• Members

Never liked Brenda, never liked Vanessa Marcil. I mean, she was okay but I just never got ANY of the hype. Even looking back, she doesn't excite me when I watch old episodes or anything. And considering how much I loathe the character of Sonny and wish MB went back to AMC years ago...well, you can draw your own conclusions about what I feel about Sonny and Brenda as a couple.

• Members

I'm glad Jack & Carly beat Holden & Lily. Michael Park & Maura West had something rare & special, similar to what Marcy & A had IMO. I'd probably have ranked Jack & Carly higher actually.

I fully expect Cruz & Eden, Patch & Kayla, and Luke & Laura to be the top 3, and I really hope that WLS goes out on a limb and puts C&E at #1 where they belong. I mean, at least Cruz never raped Eden.

And I gotta say, it says something about daytime and it's heroines when all 3 of the ladies in those couples was a rape victim.

• Members

I think this list is a really interesting exercise, but with multiple people involved in the voting and the definition of what a "popular couple" has meant having changed so dramatically over the course of the eras represented, the end result seems like an average of different lists, more than anything else.

What this list has made me realize, though - more than anything else - is that it's been a long time since I've really been heavily invested in a soap couple. And in hindsight, many of those shows are off the air now and the rest are hanging on by a threat, and I'd prefer to still be able to watch those shows than to have my choice of any one coupling versus another. Which is not to imply that it's a tradeoff...more to the point, I wish in these last few decades, soap characters' entire histories were respected, whomever they happen to be with at a given moment. In the long-run, I think having two halves of a once-popular couple on canvas and interacting with each other occasionally can be more valuable for a show than having the character on the losing end of a popular love triangle turned into a psycho overnight and try to kill one or both halves the newly minted "supercouple" in some sweeps stunt. I guess it's been a while since anyone in power at these shows had the luxury of taking the long-range view...

Archived