WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree. GH's Robert & Holly and Duke & Anna (bonafide supercouples in the 80s) were not on the list. Another popular GH 80s supercouple was Frisco & Felicia and they barely made the list. Honestly, I see this more as CBS favorites. For instance, while I think ATWT's Tom and Margo were a memorable couple, considering they were recast a lot, I don't think they should be so high. Then again, GH's Alan & Monica ( who I liked) were pretty high on the list - but I have to say on what GH planet were they a better couple than R&H, D&A, and F&F? I just think the whole list is WTF.

• Members

I always get the feeling that a lot of people hate Bo/Hope now and especially hate Hope, so #10 isn't a huge surprise to me.

I just hope the rapist and the world's hammiest ingenue aren't #1. Sick of Luke/Laura, always.

• Members

So? Both R&H and D&A were more popular (and better) than R&A as a couple. In fact, R&A weren't even really a couple that long. Isn't the thread - greatest couples of all time? Maybe R&A shouldn't be on the list and R&H and D&A should. blink.png

Thank you.

• Members

I know, but it was said during the Marlena & John placement that Marlena had four couples vying for this list and only one made it so I think it's obvious tent pole characters are being given priority here. Having multiple couples for characters splits votes and that ends up being why the list is as it is. Robert, Anna, Duke and Holly weren't on that long, especially compared to Viki and Marlena. Even some of Marlena's couples didn't make the list as the Queen of Days, which is the mass exporter of Super Couples. The criteria for best couple is subjective anyway in terms of impact, the weight of the story at the time, historical significance and the way the couples shaped their shows. There is never going to be a common consensus on these things as it has been noted by other posters in this very thread.

• Members

I appreciate your viewpoint. I really do. That said, isn't the list supposed to be about the greatest couples - not the couples that have lasted the longest? Longevity trumps greatness? If so, I disagree completely. But it's not my list. It's WLS's list and they can name whomever they want and in whatever order they want - even if it doesn't make a lot of sense. wacko.png

Archived