WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, there were other interracial couples before Julia & Noah, but I believe the women were always black in the prior ones, right? I remember that AMC trivia book (it came out circa 1997) saying that 'Julia & Noah' was the first interracial couple where the male was black (or something like that).

Weren't Cruz & Eden both white? I've just seen clips of SB, and I know Eden was played by Marcy Walker, but I can't remember.

• Members

Cruz was played by A Martinez, a latino.

There was also Tom and Simone on GH, then AMC's Cliff and Angie for a hot second, Tom and Livia, even Terrence (black) and An-Li (asian) pre-dated black Noah and latina Julia.

• Members

Wow, do NOT like many of these 50 couples. But then again, I have never been much for the TRADITIONAL soap opera couples. They tend to be a little too cheesy for my taste.

And no way can I think of Luke & Laura as the best couple of soaps. Rape-couples are not my cup of tea.

It's safe to say that my list would have looked much much different!

• Members

Pleasantly surprised to see Roger & Holly at #6, as they were an untraditional romance.

I don't think Jessie & Angie warrant such a high placement but then again, I wasn't watching AMC in their heydey.

I'm happy that Doug & Julie and Steve & Alice are Top 5, and disappointed that they've clearly decided to make Luke & Laura #1. Really, a single wedding episode does not the Greatest Soap Couple of All-Time make. I've never understood their appeal and I have seen both incarnations of them as a couple. I guess I just think Genie Francis is such a dull, surface actress and Laura such an uninteresting and uninspired character.

My list also would have been much different, but again, there are periods of many of these shows I never got to see.

Archived