WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you can wade through the video wall I mentioned a few. Vanessa/Billy, Cass/Kathleen, Barbara/Hal. These are the couples I always have the fondest memories of when I think of the time I've spent watching soaps.

Jack/Siobhan (even if they weren't a couple). Andrew/Megan (ditto).

I'd also give an honorable mention to Barnabas and Angelique, who had a huge fan following even though DS spent years pushing the opposite. That 1840 "Angelique dies in Barnabas' arms as she repents" ending was one of the first instances of fanfic come to life that I can remember on a soap.

I also loved Carolyn and Tony Peterson on Dark Shadows. The show never even tried with them.

• Members

On a strictly intellectual level, Luke and Laura "worked" (rape notwithstanding). In Luke's eyes, Laura was his "angel," who saw in him something pure and valuable that he never recognized in himself; and to Laura, Luke was someone she could count on after being let down by David Hamilton and by Scotty Baldwin. Add to that exciting action stories like "The Left-Handed Boy" and "The Ice Princess," and you might understand why they were the phenom that they were.

Unfortunately, neither Tony Geary, nor Genie Francis, nor anyone in charge at GH, respected that original dynamic or fans' appreciation of it. To these people, "Luke and Laura" were a lie; and we, the audience, were foolish to believe in it. Hence, all the years of history retcons and character assassinations that virtually pissed all over the original love story and, in turn, alienated millions of people who wound up feeling cheated.

• Members

Michael Zaslow and Maureen Garrett were so wonderful together- it really was magic. I hope they make the list.

All of my favourite "supercouples" have already made the list, but I am interested in who else makes the list.

I guess I'm in the minority but I still kind of like Luke & Laura ph34r.png - I missed most of the nastiest of the later years and most the recent stuff, so they're not that tainted for me.

I'll be right there with you soon because I know my favourite couple won't make the list either sad.png (And no, I'm not talking about Max and Luna tongue.png )

wub.png

Archived