WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any chance to bring up Matie..... ;) If I were only to include couples that I got to watch myself, they'd be in my own personal top 50. To me, it was the deepest and far most interesting pairing either character ever had on the show, though I guess that isn't saying much. I connected to them though and was invested enough in them as a couple that it made their various stories work for me. Would I place them higher than CarJack? Certainly not. But imo, they kick the crap out of Lilden, Tom/Margo, and Craig/Sierra,

I enjoy them and think they should have been top 50 for sure, but they're clearly not gonna make the list at this point. Unfortunately, it was decided Tom & Margo would be the highest ranked ATWT couple and I for one am disappointed. I'd have LOVED to have seen Bob & Kim, Dan & Kim, or Jeff & Penny been given that honor.

I've also noticed that this last has been more about the popular cookie cutter couples and far less about the tortured, more psychologically complex and interesting pairings. Maybe that would make an interesting list all its own. I'd LOVE to read more in depth analysis about couples like ATWT's Dan & Susan, AW's Jake & Marley (underrated in their own complexity and interest at their peak), B&B's Thorne & Brooke, DAYS's Bill & Laura, GL's Roger & Holly, OLTL's Max & Gabrielle, and SB's CC & Sophia.

Agreed. They were truly only compelling in their first run. I'd have rather seen Roman & Marlena in the top 10 than them, but again, DAYS destroyed Roman over the years so it's hard to put them on a list like this.

I hold out hope that perhaps tentpole couples like Tom & Alice and ATWT's Chris & Nancy can still pull out a placement. I expect to see Doug & Julie of course but I wouldn't be unhappy to see things trend that way for #1- #6.

:lol: I think we both know that ain't actually happening though. ;)

This isn't an SOD list so I'd doubt that. There's A LOT of tunnel vision among DAYS fans, moreso than any other current soap on the air. As fun as DAYS may have been to watch in the 90s, it was all surface compared to what had come before it. The least you could have done was throw in Austin & Carrie or Jack & Jennifer or even Lucas & Sami, couples that at least may have had a shot.

Bope could be considered top 5 when it comes to DAYS couples (it's arguable), but #10 on a list like this is generous IMO. They have not had the impact in their 2nd run that they did in their first, it's just the way it is. And that second run has last run for nearly 20 out of the past 22 years. Their main presence is from people who remember them from back then. Maggie & Mickey could have topped them and it would have made sense.

• Members

Actually, I'd put Bo & Hope at number two, after (okay, why not) Luke & Laura. True, those two haven't had a decent storyline together since the end of the Reagan administration. However, the purity of their original romance and courtship, IMO, was nothing short of heart-stopping. I mean, come on -- Bo & Hope on the motorcycle? That's one of THE moments, if you ask me.

• Members

Steven and Alice will always be number one in my book.

I'm surprised that Bill and Laura from DAYS have not been mentioned. They were hugely popular in the 1960s and '70s, and their tortured romance, so beautifully written by William J. Bell and Pat Falken Smith, lasted for years.

Archived