WLS 50 Greatest Soap Opera Couples of All-Time

• Members

I enjoy watching Robert & Anna as a romantic couple (MANY thanks to robertannafan on YouTube for that!), but even I agree with this--at least that R&H and D&A should be on there, too. I'll say this, though: the moment I saw R&A on the list, I KNEW what was going to happen. Saying that the other two wouldn't make the list only heightened my suspicions.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh, I know Victor and Nikki will be in the top 10 (probably the top 5) and that's enough to make me vomit. What's the chance of getting a Lucy/Kevin or Lucy/Scott mention? Unlikely but they'd certainly make my list. Also, Olivia and Natalia? WTF? Roger and Holly better be top 10 then

• Members

I'm going to list some of my choices for best soap couples who I assume will be nowhere near that list.

GL - Billy/Vanessa

Oh how I loved Billy and Vanessa. So much so that Jordan Clarke's 1993 exit (which wasn't GL's fault, but I did not realize this at the time) helped drive me away from the show. Billy was all bluster but had a big heart, so often broken. Vanessa was calm and controlled, but full of fear and pain underneath. When Billy first came on the show, he was a pig and Vanessa was a spoiled bitch. Through a lot of breakups and a lot of reunions they each matured, yet never lost that early spark. The key to their strength was that separately they were great characters...but together, they were phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMp_4Yn4Ang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DB_llF_dP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgjnzyFOVHM

This scene happened when Vanessa's big romantic soulmate was supposed to be Matt Reardon, and had recently returned from the dead. Her reunion with Billy was a very small scene. Yet, Maeve Kinkead and Jordan Clarke add so much to this - just the way she tells him she loves him makes me love them all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMxgdd9euUI&feature=related

• Members

IA. AMC was on fire during the 80s and so those couples (Greg & Jenny, Cliff & Nina) should easily be in the top 10 and at the very least top 20. Same goes for the GH 80s couples (Frisco & Felicia, Robert & Holly, Duke & Anna). ABC Daytime in the 80s was the unparalleled and to say the top couples didn't make the top 20 list is just ludicrous.

• Members

Another World - Cass and Kathleen

One look and I was hooked. One sequence, actually.

Cass and Kathleen were laughter and tears, a relationship which greatly matured Cass as a character without turning him into a dour weeper, as his relationship with Frankie did. They faced a lot of tragedies but always kept their perspective. They just had effortless chemistry. Even in Kathleen's second stint on the show, which was mostly devoted to repeatedly telling viewers what a drag Kathleen was and how she could not compare to New Age goddess Frankie, Stephen Schnetzer and Julie Osburn had magic.

There's a great scene which isn't on Youtube that I know of, when Kathleen was presumed dead, and Cass, delirious and in the midst of a mental breakdown, sees her ghost, who sings to him and laughs with him until someone finds him and takes him to the hospital.

No soap would make a couple like this today. They wouldn't know how to begin.

• Members

I too loved Cass and Kathleen! They were a fave of mine and I always loved Cecile thrown in to stir things up.

Jake and Vicky better be top 10 at least. The two were off-and-on for years (and personally my all-time fave couple).

I remember back in the day being a big fan of Frisco and Felicia. I have rarely watched GH overall but I was hooked back when those two were starting out and they made me watch for quite some time.

I don't know how Robert and Holly were less of a couple on this list than Robert and Anna. R&A may have had more storyline together over the years but I remember Robert and Holly being extremely popular. Wasn't this the one time that Tony Geary lost his girl because she was more popular with someone else?

• Members

ATWT Barbara and Hal

Probably my very favorite soap couple. Barbara, a semi-reformed schemer and all-around bitch, did her best to live up to the standards of true blue cop Hal, but often regressed. Hal would get FURIOUS, over little things like keeping his child's paternity from him, or passing another man's child off as his, but he always understood Barbara, and most of the time, he never judged her. You never saw long sequences of Hal calling Barbara a whore and a slut. He loved Barbara so much that he took her back over and over and over, and Barbara loved him so much she really did try to change.

Ben Hendrickson and Colleen Zenk were both incredible actors who just brought out the absolute best in each other, whether they were screaming at each other or talking about who was going to get takeout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQE7b1SKo8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9Fl5rR-I4&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmGCGZlWOnU

• Members

T doubt Max and Gabrielle would make the list, Bo and Nora, Tina and Cord prolly.

Ryan and Vicky would prolly make the list, Jake and Vicky prolly not.

I loved Billy and Vanessa, but Beth and Phillip, and Nola and Quint will prolly make the list along with Josh and Reva.

Holden and Lily, Jack and Carly and maybe Tom and Margo for ATWT!

I am still tripping over Ridge and Brooke being so low, 25 years and they made the cover of TV Guide :o

• Members

Yes. In the storyline, Holly was supposed to go back to Luke after he was found to be alive. But because Robert & Holly ended up being so popular, they had to change the storyline so Holly stayed with Robert. Ratings for GH went up that year as well. And when Luke & Laura rode off into the sunset in 1983, it was Robert & Holly who carried on as the next GH supercouple. The fact that they're not even on the list is outrageous.

• Members

Oh definitely. Cecile was a great stooge for the three - I know she and Cass were also a popular couple, but there's something so fun about her tagging along with Cass and Kathleen in the Majorca story, a thorn in their side. I don't want to clutter this with clips but there is a great pie fight clip with Cecile and Kathleen on Youtube. This group of characters always had great comedy, in a genre that even then seemed to have oceans of blood threatening to wash the soaps away. I miss Cass, Kathleen, Cecile, Frankie, Wally.

I don't think Carly and Jack or Tom and Margo should be higher than Bob and Kim, although I won't be stunned if they are. I never, ever, ever liked Holden/Lily but I know they were the big supercouple.

I just hope Ridge and Caroline are on the list. I have a feeling Ridge/Taylor may be. Ridge/Caroline had some wonderful fairy tale moments which no other B&B couple ever had.

Archived