GH: Discussion for the Month of July

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some tidbits from the TCA panel

Television Critics Association Panel for General Hospital:

Frank Valentini says there are past #GH members they are looking into bringing back but Genie's #YR contract doesnt allow for it. #TCAs12

Tony Geary says #GH was on "death row" before Frank came in. Now the storyline means a lot to him, going as dark as he's been allowed to go.

"There's something to be valued that's comfortable...and generational and inclusive," Nancy Lee Grahn on importance of soaps. #GH #TCAs12

Nancy also points out that the soap audience once paid for television and honors the family structure. #GH #TCAs12

Jason Thompson points out how soaps are constantly looking forward and touching on topics first and differently than in other mediums. #GH

Nancy Lee Grahn gave her daughter her Emmy as a marker than if you believe in what you do and you work hard good things happen. #GH #TCAs12

Frank Valentini says it's his style to move #GH at a slightly faster pace, also to incorporate "key" characters he felt the show was missing

Frank wanted to honor #OLTL by weaving some of those characters in, also to balance #GH characters. New dynamics/relationships. #TCAs12

"I don't know if they're excited to see me but I'm excited to see them" - Michael Eaton says of working with #OLTL players on #GH #TCAs12

Maurice Benard "loves that there's new blood" now on #GH, feels the #OLTL characters are bringing a new side of Sonny; he's more vulnerable.

"I worked with Roger a long time ago, so I don't really remember" - Laura Wright enjoys working with him now, though. #GH #TCAs12

"She's back for a little bit," Frank Valentini confirms of Robin. #GH #TCAs12

Maurice Benard says learning to do things in one take, quickly is the most valuable lesson about acting from being on a soap. #GH #TCAs12

"It's really good brain work," Jane Elliot who jokes she's in the "back third of her life," considers. #GH #TCAs12

"It's like you're in school; you get to act everyday, and you're [always] improving," Nancy Lee Grahn #GH #TCAs12

"They invited us here. To me, that's a great sign. They're behind us 150%; they're really excited about the 50th anniversary," Frank on ABC

Frank thinks the timeslot change will be "great" to "shake up the line up." There will be a big network push to remind audience of it. #GH

September will see a "big umbrella story" with a lot of fun surprises, per Frank Valentini. #GH #TCAs12

Tony Geary qualifies quality work as starting in the script. "You look for a good script that you can really get your hands on" #GH #TCAs12

"We're all doing this so long, eventually we're going to get one" - Nancy Lee Grahn on Emmys. #GH #TCAs12

#GH panel agrees soaps are "never thankless." Nancy Lee Grahn says the industry in the primetime arena poopoos soaps, not audience. #TCAs12

Steve Burton has been on #GH almost 22 years, which he calls a "miracle" to work that long. "We do a lot more work now in less time" #TCAs12

Steve Burton just said they shot 78 (!!) scenes yesterday. He invited us to come check it out. I would but I'm exhausted thinking of that.

"#GH is just an iconic brand; we're not ready to let it go" - Steve Burton on the united front of everyone working on the show #TCAs12

"I challenge anyone outside our industry to come do what we do" - Laura Wright "Meryl Streep could but she's not human" - Nancy Lee Grahn

"If I'm here tomorrow and you're here tomorrow, I'll give you a high five" - Kelly Monaco won't confirm or deny #DWTS AllStars casting.

Tony Geary admits opening credits scene where he's walking away from other guys was because he'd "just sort of had it" at that shoot. #GH

Should be pointed out that #GeneralHospital producer also makes the point that scenes are shorter than they were in 1991. #TCAs12

Maurice on #OLTL cast joining #GH: "I love that there's new blood." #TCA12

I watched #GH growing up & man this cast has not aged. pic.twitter.com/g08v0pjD

Doesn't sound like Genie Francis is returning to #GH anytime soon. #TCA12

----

Okay, it's over...

Steve got chatty at the end...Kemo did not say a word.

NLG was addressing finding work outside of soaps and she said there's a general rule that Primetime doesn't want to see soap reels for auditions, they pooh-pooh it but it's hard work.

Steve jumped in and said that he's been on the show 22yrs and not many people can say that, it's pretty incredible. The load is gotten harder, faster. When he started the would tape 20-21 scenes a day and just yesterday they taped 78 scenes. He invited anyone to come to GH and see what the actors do and how hard it is.

JE said something about how they are now taping 7 episodes within a 5 day work week.

NLG praised FV for being hands on, staying late, last one out of the building...editing thru lunch hour...dedicated, etc. Steve was nodding his head in agreement.

Funny bit: THe feed froze but when it came back they were talking about the last opening credits with the guys in tuxedos...someone asked about TG/Luke walking off. Steve started laughing and said they were all standing there (the actors) wondering where the heck Tony was going. TG said sometimes Luke takes over and Luke had enough so he left. Later on when TG asked the producers why they kept it in, they decided it made sense and was perfect for his character to do that. Then Steve said if you look closely you can see that Maurice is actually sleeping, like he does on the show (or something to that effect) That made Mo cracked up and then Steve started laughing. The mod any last question and Steve piped up, "Well there should be after that last comment."

-----

In scrum Valentini promises Kassie DePaiva will be back, hints Prospect Park issues make some #OLTL crossovers difficult #Gh #TCAS12

My #TCAs12 posts with the most hits have been about Britney Spears and Port Charles. I think that's epic

Kimberly MCCullough @whitewatercrew open to recurring depending on schedule says Valentini #GH #TCAS12

• Administrator

Woah! Evil Dr. Keenan! Didn't expect that. Wonder why he took Robin, or if he's working for someone. Even though Todd knows the truth about Johnny now, I hope Carly doesn't find out until November sweeps - I think it should happen at Johnny/Carly's wedding. That big of secret needs to come out at a wedding.

• Members

At least it's continuing the tradition of deadly dull insta-psychos on "Cartini" shows. Ronnie, Eli, Ross, Powell, etc. etc. The most interesting was probably Powell, as Sean Moynihan had barely aged in 20 years.

Archived