2012 Daytime Emmy's Discussion

AllMyDaysatGH

• Members

Okay, I'm straight but DAMN is Chandler Massey cute, or is he cute? LMAO.

Anyway,

As for JFP. She is a fantastic producer, and seemed very classy last night. But I will NEVER forgive her for what she did to the women of GH, namely Jackie Zeman.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a wonderful ceremony this was! I thought it was a great tribute to daytime television as a whole, soaps, talk shows, cooking shows, kids programming, court shows, etc... Anderson & oscar were a great opening act. I liked that there was no host and presents did two categories. It was great to see people who deserved to win win (Tony, JJ, Heather, Chandler). Days winning writing was shocking and I kept waiting for a Santa Barbara stage rush, sad it didnt happen. The only downside I would say was Susan Lucci, who was horrendous.

• Members

I love Tony Geary's acceptance speech. My major complaint is Ron Moss wasn't there. Ron Moss is half the reason to watch the daytime emmys, to see what weird jacket he is wearing, what kind of scarf he is wearing on a hot summer day, how crazy he looks... His absence was keenly felt and a real disappointment.

• Members

No, she wasnt.

And i see a lot of people didnt like it. I dont think many people will ever love it. This was a completely different show from last years and basically everything people had been asking for. I dont see what more they could have done. Of course, there were issues (that amc/oltl tribute! getty) but every award show has issues every year. overall, id give this years telecast a solid A.

I also loved the way it was set up. The stage was beatiful and the table seating is classic. I hope it is just like this next year, weather it airs or not.

• Members

You are being so kind because the Wrights wedding photo was a "Deliverance" for me -you only need to see it once. They looked like a couple of hillbillies (first cousins would not have been a hard sell). John's hair was longer and stringy. Since, he's put on some pounds allowing him to grow into that hair, so he looks so much better. He's quite handsome these days. He's such a nice guy too!

ANDREA

• Members

Why tho?

What was truly wrong with it? The only compliant I could even see, outside of the shitty amc/oltl tribute, is that it wasnt soap opera based, and it shouldnt be. This is not the soap opera awards, its the daytime emmy awards and i think it represented daytime well. Almost everyone presenting was daytime related. Soaps, talk, game, kids and culinary shows were equally represented. I thought the venue and stage were classy and elegant.

I even watched this one on TV because i was curious as to if it would come off as well as it did in person, and it really did.

• Members

Sadly, its all based off basically an episode.

TG & JJ had no competeiution in terms of that.

HT was a surprise, for sure. agree that the emmy should have gone to DM, but if she had to lose to anyone at least it was to someone like HT who is phenomenal at what she does and did have a very solid tape herself.

Oh, and i just caught up on the MM drama. Wow. I dont even know what to say! Was he even there?

• Members

I was so happy when JJ left because Lucky cried too damn much. JJ gave an interview and he talked about how depressing it was to play Lucky last year. There was no growth and one tragedy after another. He couldn't take it any longer. I do believe the TG did great work with the intervention, and I can't think of anyone else to give the award to in 2011 so TG gets it by default. HT? Still scratching my head on this one. I just don't like this woman as as actress. I really don't. I was so happy she left YR. Not that AH was a welcomed change. HT didn't even belong in lead category. I just knew DM would be taking that statue home. I just knew it!

• Members

1. The set up was ridiculous. It took the recipients forever to get to the stage, which wasted valuable time.

2. No clips were shown of anyone or anything. I don't consider two seconds of film while the names were being read to be real clips. I have small children, I work from home, and I'm home pretty much all day long. The television is on a lot at my house. Give me a reason to watch some of these shows you're awarding. Without seeing any clips, why should I tune in to Giada or some legal show I've never heard of? They didn't need cheesy musical numbers for each drama like they've done in the past, but a short reel would have been nice.

3. The music was horrible. There were no show themes for any of the shows or actors, and I'm counting all daytime shows, not just the drama.

4. There were filler awards like best viral video that had no reason to be there and took away from time that could have been used for film clips. Awards like best new approach in whatever should have been part of the Creative awards that were given out the week before.

5. Jack Hanna and Debbie Gibson on stage with animals. Why? That was such a waste of time that could have been used better.

6. In a year in which two long-running beloved shows were axed, the lifetime achievement award was given to a talk show producer. Okay, fine, he's had a long career, but being subjected to Barbara Walters talking like that was just painful.

7. The microphone was placed in such a way that presenters had to step in front of each other to speak.

8. The camera work was sloppy. We were subjected to shots of chandeliers and far away shots of tables with only minimal audience close ups. When they did show Susan in the audience, she wasn't lit at all. The Emmys used to have great shots of the cast, spouses, etc., and that was definitely missing.

9. There were technical flops like Bethanny Frankel standing in on stage with a blank teleprompter and no clue who the winner was.

10. The soap winners were all the same predictable people who win over and over again. Days was a surprise for writing, but other than that, it was same old, same old.

11. The AMC/OLTL tribute was horribly botched with no photos, no film clips, no people talking about what the shows meant to them. The clips of Agnes and RPG before Susan came out were great, but if they wanted to do a tribute to Susan, it would have been better to have someone else introduce a bunch of clips of Erica and people talking about the character and actress and then have her come out and say a few brief words. The mini tribute to Susan/Erica was poorly executed and came off as Susan talking about how great she was, which I highly doubt was her intention. Cam Mathison had no business being up there with Susan and Erika. Darnell Williams or Michael E Knight would have been much better choices.

• Members

They were also given more time to speak than in recent years for this reason.

ITA about clips, it would be nice. However, for me personally anyways, no clips didnt have an affect. Clips have not been shown in years and i dont expect them to ever make a return.

This is something I didnt even notice tho. I am not sure how this makes the show awful, but i guess if theme songs are important to you...

This, i completely agree on. I didnt mind best new approach, but it defantly would have been better fitted at the tech, esp since they wanted to move younger actor there.

Jack Hanna has been on daytime tv for years with his syndicated shows as well as regular spots on GMA. Debbi Gibson tho was a mahor WTF. Aside from her tho, im pretty sure everyone had a conection to daytime.

Um, so you said he has had a long career. So your issue is Babs? I dont see what amc/oltl ending have to do with who should be given the lifetime achevent award, esp when AN already had one. I suppose Lucci could have gotten it.

Super annoying. Having 4-5 presents was a bad choice too, and they def should have had 2-3 mics for them.

ITA with both of these.

Thats not a issue with the production tho, but the academy.

Again, ITA. Except about Cameron. I know fans around here hate him but he had a huge role on AMC right next to her for over a decade.

Even if i agreed with all of this, I couldnt imagine thinking last year, the year before, or any of the past 5 years were better than this. This is everything I could have wanted for the daytime emmys.

Hopefully next year they just have the ceremony and it doesnt air.

This is a really good article - http://www.goldderby.com/television/news/3032/daytime-emmy-awards-general-hospital-dool-oltl-amc.html

and i love this quote from it "refreshingly, the 2012 Daytime Emmys were about the Daytime Emmys."

Archived