Whatever Happened To Good Fights in Soaps?

• Members

Back in the day, one could always count on a soap to deliver a fabulous fight for viewers to cheer on, a la:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqJhp6fScQk

No matter whose a viewer was on, you knew that you were getting an eyeful's worth when the fur started flying.

Nowadays, all soaps serve up is a once-in-a-blue-moon slap that wouldn't even slay a third grader in a playground fight. Most of the time, they won't allow it to get that far because someone will step in and break it up before a fight even begins, which is lame as hell.

I'd like to know what happened to the good soap fights of yesteryear? When and why have they ceased to exist?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DaytimeFan, thank you for bringing up one of my favorite Y&R memories. That was when the broads on the show knew how to throw down!

When I read viewers these days praise today's weaksauce 'fights' (if you can even call them that), it just saddens me because they clearly have no clue what a true and epic soap fight is.

• Members

I think these fell victim to the same mindset so many things about soap fell victim to: the self loathing on the part of the soap community and the inferiority complex it has. There was such a relentless drive to be seen as adult and serious drama that out went the melodramatic background music, out went the badguys talking to themselves in close up vowing revenge, out went the weddings where someone would stop the wedding and out went the entertaining but silly catfights. It's "campy", it's "cheesy", it' all the things that embody the OTT 80s soaps are so ashamed of. It's too Aaron Spelling and not enough Stephen Bochco. It's why people say OLTL "grew up" in the 90s, why the last season of Dynasty was better, and so on and so forth.

Archived