Whatever Happened To Good Fights in Soaps?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. Soaps are missing those "OMG" moments. They are trying to hard to create them instead of letting it come from natural storytelling. Just basing a story on a character's emotions and feelings can lead to so much and we're much more invested. I really wish we could pin down the decline of the soap opera. I understand the need to be serious but you can tell character driven, serious stories with moments of camp and some fun OTT moments.

It also shows how soaps lack real rivalries and friendships and families.

• Members

I'm sorry (actually, no I'm not), but that Valeria catfight is hilarious as hell. Maybe I should start tuning into that show...laugh.png

As for fighting being demeaning to women/soaps? Please. Part of what made soaps as beloved as they were back in the day were the catfights. I certainly don't look to them for any sort of womanist empowerment, as I'd surely come up short if I tried.

• Members

No the catfights didn't really make it big until after Dynasty. From what I heard before women used to bring people down to size with witty dialog. Women catfighting over men in this day and age just makes them look stupid and childish. And Valeria is lnog over it was a novela from a few years ago.

• Members

This topic just brought back long-repressed memories. On ATWT, Barbara Ryan got her head stuck in a toilet (and was flushed!)by one of the many ladies she pissed off. But I can't remember if it was Margo, Shannon or Lyla. Does anyone remember the scene I'm thinking of?

• Members

Case in point: Alice and Rachel's confrontation (at Alice's engagement party, no less) over Rachel's pregnancy on ANOTHER WORLD. I've only read the transcripts from that episode, but I love how it accomplishes everything that a catfight is supposed to without resorting to physical violence.

Archived