Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Members

Hearst benefited against the actors he played opposite. I don't know if that is necessarily overhyped/overrated, he was just better then everyone else he was pitted against in a dramatic scene more often the not. Unless one though what Bernard and Burton were doing against him was acting....

He out acted the entire Corinthois clan and that got him noticed for better or worse. He came in during a time when the men on GH stopped trying to act and he got noticed for his effort.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't like Genie Francis on Y&R. She really doesn't fit into the role.

I also didn't like her on DOOL and thought she was at best uneven as Ceara on AMC and Loving. As Laura on GH, she saved TG's bacon because there's no way I believe he would have become another redeemed rapist without her onscreen charisma.

She was quite good on Hallmark's The Note. I didn't see the sequel.

• Members

I always thought Martha Byrne was so overhyped. She was a far inferior actor to Maura West or to the long time ATWT vets, and making the boring Lily the central character of ATWT was hurtful to the ratings, IMO. I felt really badly for the way Noelle Beck was treated by some of Martha's fans, as I considered her to be a big improvement.

• Members

Going by the topic... overHYPED, not necessarily overRATED.

Michael Easton for Port Charles. "Tainted Love" was their 10th or 15th reboot of the show, and it's the one they ended up sticking with. And honestly, the story there, while not necessarily the most original, was a good story. But to recenter their show around that story, and Michael Easton? Well... they had nothing else to lose.

Nadia Bjorlin on DAYS was HUGELY overhyped during the infamous Phloe vs. Broe wars. It reminds me of a South Park episode, "When asked if Moop's boycott would encourage them to stop downloading music, 1% said yes, 1% said no, and 98% said who the hell is Moop?" Well, who the hell was Ghoul Girl, and why were we centering the show on this when neither couple had chemistry and who cared anyway? That said, Nadia Bjorlin HAS developed star power and DAYS should get her back, but at that time, it was too much, too soon, and intellectually insulting.

Roger Howarth when he went to ATWT. I guess I differ from most online ATWT fans in that I prefer Howarth to Scott Holroyd, though I know the writing was a factor. TPTB weren't satisfied with Holroyd as Barbara Ryan and James Stenbeck's son, and neither was I, but he had talent... they just WROTE him as second fiddle to Martha Byrne's Rose, so what did they expect out of his acting? Howarth's portrayal was closer to what I imagined for Paul, though again he benefitted from better characterization, but it was overhyped nonetheless. Yes, he was a rockstar on OLTL. But, um, TPTB? OLTL aired opposite ATWT. Why did you expect ATWT fans to get excited about somebody they had, in all likelihood, never seen before?

Real Andrews going to ATWT. There were all types of stories in the media about how only ATWT could give a black man a worthwhile role. What in the world did he do in the 2 or however many years he was there? Walker never had a story. idk if he is a good actor or not, because it was overhyped for the amount of story he actually got.

I can't think of any more right now but there are plenty I'm sure...

• Members

This is a good example IMO. YES, Byrne was overhyped. Now I loved her for what she was, but she was not some incredible actress. Now, I disagree she was hurtful to ATWT's ratings, one of the easiest things to identify among all ATWT fans with FURY for whatever stupid thing Lily was doing... that type of fury builds for years and years and becomes a sort of begrudging love IMO. She was an integral part of the show, but an amazing actress? No, she wasn't. And there is the overhype. She is a good soap opera actress and I love her for what she is, but she is not Meryl Streep.

• Members

I forgot Hunt Block. I actually liked his Craig (in the beginning, at least.) Yes, it was a different character, but he was witty and charming and I preferred Craigly to what Carjack had become by then (early Carjack > Craigly tho.) But he was definitely overhyped. There was a time in 2001 where Craig was in every single episode from like January - September. That is just overkill and overhype.

• Members

Easton was fortunate in that his early story got buzz, which was rare for PC. But there was no buzz whatsoever about his work for 95% of the time he was on PC. The same was true for OLTL. Now he gets some hype because he's in the worst male lineup on daytime, on a dying show.

I think P&G was just thrilled they got someone from ABC. Howarth could have been from the Home Show for all they cared.

At the time I felt like P&G hired Andrews in part to save face for the whole fiasco with Marshall Travers.

I always thought Brittany Snow was overhyped too. She spent 98% of her GL run shrieking.

• Members

IIRC, PC tried to move on from the vampire thing at one point with the story of the three angels, or whatever. My memory is foggy. When that was largely seen as a boring dud they likely thought they had no choice other than going back to what got them buzz.

I never watched the show tho by that point (I watched a bit during the crazy Julie phase, dunno when that was) so I dunno how accurate I am.

• Members

You're right. They had stories about dangerous candles, and overloaded with the stuttering vagrant Rafe (the overhyped Brian Gaskill), but then went back to Caleb. And no one gave a crap.

That's Easton in a nutshell. Ten years of love letters from ABC Daytime and he has brought nothing but lowered ratings. GH has fallen each week he's been on the show.

Archived