GH: Discussion for the Month of March

• Members

Carl, I completely agree and see what you're saying about Anna. As poorly written as Robert's return was, at least we got to see his perspective. People actually cared about his well being. The same can't be said for Anna. I thought Finola Hughes did a smashing job in every scene she was in, but she was merely supporting other characters. I want to see somebody supporting Anna and I want to hear her perspective. Anna and Patrick should have the lion share of screentime right now, in terms of this story.

I'm curious if Anna sticks around if they'll do anything with her. They certainly don't seem inspired to write for her now, but I think she could be a great asset. Finola is reminding me of why she got me hooked on AMC years ago.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anna doesnt need supporting. She is coming across as very strong and holding things together and she's done so for Patrick and Emma. People rallying behind her as they are with Robert wouldnt make sense bc she isnt a mess and on the verge of a breakdown the way he is. She has her emotions in check and has internalized her grief. I think the way she's reacted with everyone else is perfect. As a viewer, all I want is one private scene with her alone and just breaking down and having one big cry which fades to black. She doesnt need to do that in public for everyone to see and start consoling her.

• Members

When I say I want people supporting Anna, I mean that I want her to be the focus of the scenes and the other actors should be supporting her in that way. I don't mean that I want the other characters supporting her, because Anna is a very strong and independent woman. She also has already lost a daughter so I'd expect her to be lashing out in some way. I do feel that should've at least come up at some point.

• Members

Right. To be honest I don't even know if she's coming across that strongly. Luke did all the work with Robert, and she watched helplessly as he merrily abandoned her and their grandchild before Robin's funeral. She asked Liz to take care of the funeral. Patrick seems to be holed away somewhere. So, they aren't exactly having Anna as this force.

I don't remember RC writing any strong women on OLTL - I think Anna is just a mystery to him.

• Members

My position on this whole "Anna's Thoroughly Odd Grieving Process" storyline is the fact that it just doesn't seem true. For decades, we've been told that, especially on ABC soaps, there is NO bond greater than a mother and child -- and no fate worse than a parent outliving their child. Now, when it comes time to put that to the test, Anna's calm and stoic, wiping a single tear from her cheek. I can't blame Finola or the direction simply because THE SCENES AREN'T WRITTEN TO ACCOMMODATE ANYTHING ELSE! Now, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it definitely seems odd. Add that to Robert's piss poorly written Grief in 60 Seconds or Less and it just makes no sense that the parents of a dead woman seem so... blase. Unless they're planning on pulling off an 11th hour hat trick and give Anna her "moment" as she throws herself onto Robin's casket at the funeral (while proofreading this sentence, I quickly saw 'Baskin Robbins') , I really don't see the point in them being here. This, to me, has all the impact of Mac getting a throwaway line, "Anna's distraught she couldn't make Robin's funeral -- she's stacked over O'Hare."

Well, much like last year with Jake's death, the death of someone's child is all about The Men and their Egos. Robert's not distraught that his daughter was burned to death. Heavens, no! He's distraught that he couldn't "save" her. A case of bruised ego. Give Robert another child to save, his ego's immediately healed and he's got a glint in his eye and a spring in his step.

If Kate becoming a schizophrenic whore and Carly stripping down to her bra and panties in the middle of a hospital are any indications of this dude's perception self-proclaimed strong female characters... we're in a for a treat! Tee hee! dry.png

• Members

I think it's a tragedy that Laura Wright is probably one of the strongest actresses GH has. When she was chewing out Kelly Monaco's Sam over 'what Jason would want' I just thought it was unreal that GH has isolated, fired, killed off every single one of their strong female leads over the last couple of years. The piss poor thing about the writing is I can't even argue with her. That is what Jason would want and then I hated the fact that I cared enough to give her that much room in the first place.

I go back and forth on Anna, I think she is great when she is around other people, but I also think she shouldn't be this glass mirror who's grief is only seen as a reflection of other characters emotions. Finola Hugh's is awesome and she's given every scene exactly what they are worth. Her scenes with Robert, Patrick and Luke were probably the best thing about the last few weeks. I can't say that I've been unsatisfied with her performance. I am just unsatisfied with the way the entire storyline is written and positioned. I just wish there was a greater sense of loss. These people all seem so fragmented and insular. It's so oddly edited that none of the shows storylines really mesh well together. You never feel like the scenes in an episode are happening on the same show. You have one scene about Robin's death then another scene about Carly boning Johnny, then another scene with Kate/Connie switching back and forth then you have the OLTL crew and nothing seems coherent or cohesive enough for me to feel much of anything. That being said I actually do like KDP, she makes Micheal watchable.

• Members

Great post. ITA. I was expecting so much more from the vet returns but I was hugely disappointed again. The writing for Robert and Holly has been horrific. Did no one see them in the 80s? WTH? Anna has been slightly better but not by much. And this Luke propping only irritates me and makes me hate Luke more. And why bring up Ethan's paternity if they weren't going to change it? It truly boggles my mind. I guess I can say goodbye to GH - again.

• Members

Michael says he can relate to Starr bc he wants justice for Abby's death. Um wasnt she killed accidentally by a crane?

I cant beleive Im saying this considering I cant stand either character, but Todd and Carly seem to work well together.

• Members

That, along with "What does Sonny do, walk around in a bathrobe?", were the highlights of today's episode.

OT: Does anyone know how to use the spoiler feature? I realized that I've posted a few in this thread before and I don't want to be inconsiderate of anyone else, but I honestly don't know how to post one. Thanks in advance.

Archived