Lifetime to remake "Steel Magnolias" with all black cast

dragonflies

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BTW, I hate that they changed the football helmet hair line. They could have done Queen's hair more like in her Living Single days and it would have worked, plus it would have made her look older.

I was also surprised that they dropped the blown up condoms tied to the honeymoon car. I think that was in the play as well as the movie.

• Members

Honestly, Queen Latifah was a HUGE reason why this project failed creatively. Not only did her vision as an Executive Producer left a lot to be desired in execution, but she was totally miscast (by herself nonetheless) as M'Lynn.

Latifah is not a leading actress, and for a role that's supposed to be the linchpin of this ensemble, she failed miserably. Not only did it seem as if she didn't have it in her to role the role convincingly (and damn she phoned a good part of it in regardless), but she just didn't have the commanding presence the centerpiece of this movie required.

• Members

Yeah, I love QT and the idea of her as a matriarch, just not sure if M'Lynn was right for her. She did exude a warmth that I really liked and I would love to see her in a similar capacity. And another thing, I sat there watching thinking, "I can't wait to make some gifs of her power walking down those hospital corridors." :lol:

• Members

It just didn't have the heart of the original. And I felt like we only knew what was really going on because we know the original so well. A lot of the performances fell flat or I felt like I was watching a highschool adaptation of an original (sorry, but Alfre Woodard couldn't light a candle to Shirley Maclaine's Weezer, ditto for Queen Latifa vs. The Great Sally Field). Whoever played Shelby was just reciting words. Overall, the whole thing just fell flat and there was a real lack of connection and emotion. Thank goodness they didn't release this in theaters because then people would've REALLY dissected and picked apart its shortcomings.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Finally got a chance to see this, and dear lord it was awful! Awful, awful, awful!

The acting was atrocious from everyone involved. The tempo was rushed. There was no emotional connection between any of the characters. It felt like none of the actors really wanted to be there, nor had they any idea how to play their respective characters. When Queen Latifah's M'Lynn had her breakdown after Shelby's death I actually cringed and felt embarrassed for everyone involved, whereas when Sally Field's M'Lynn had her breakdown I cried my eyes out.

And what Adepero Oduye (Annelle) was doing I have no idea. It certainly wasn't acting.

I'm sure this sounded like a good idea to someone at some point, but the end result was abysmal. Thankfully I have the original on dvd, so I can watch that and put this experience behind me.

Archived