Lifetime to remake "Steel Magnolias" with all black cast

dragonflies

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought "all Black" productions of things ended back with Pearl Bailey starring in the all black Hello Dolly, etc? I know film and TV still doesn't do colour blind casting the way most theatre does, and I suppose it could be argued that Magnolias is a period piece where it wouldn't make sense to just cast it with a mix of races (though ti has been cast that way on stage before), but to me it still seems more like a gimmick. Zadan and Meron *usually* produce quality adaptations of plays and musicals--less so when they do original movies--, so we'll see. I wonder if the script will be closer to the original stage one, or more like the movie?

And wow I never knew the film had a planned sitcom spin off--and the pilot was broadcast. I'm sure it's awful, but sadly it's not on youtube that I can find...

"CBS commissioned a television pilot in 1990 in hopes of continuing the story as a weekly half-hour sitcom. The story picked up where the film left off and therefore Shelby was not included in the show. The cast featured Cindy Williams as M’Lynn, Sally Kirkland as Truvy, Elaine Stritch as Ouiser, Polly Bergen as Clairee and Sheila McCarthy as Annelle. CBS declined to pick up the series for the 1990 fall season, although the pilot was broadcast on August 17, 1990."

(Why sin't this in the movies/music forum? :P )

• Members

Wow. Really? Interesting. To me, this is more on par with the relatively recent all-black production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway. In spite of a pretty recent revival with Delta Burke, Rebecca Gayheart, et al, I'm sure a lot of people don't realize that Steel Magnolias was originally a play (starring Rosemary Prinz as M'Lynn). I wish I could see that pilot too, Eric. I'd also like to see the Driving Miss Daisy pilot (with Hilary B. Smith in the Patti LuPone role).

I think white Southern pieces actually translate well into all-black adaptations (uh, time period permitting). For instance, I think Designing Women could have VERY easily been an all-black show. Phylicia Rashad as Julia, Jackee Harry as Suzanne...

• Members

I don't think the roles are untouchable. The actresses did a good job, but they also were able to adapt the roles to their own personalities - Olympia, Dolly, Julia Roberts, etc. have given these performances more than once over the years. I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh perspective on it, as long as they cast right, because the performances helped to give heart to the maudlin material.

I wish I could have seen Rosemary Prinz as M'Linn.

• Members

Ha, I was just thinking cast in my head and Lynn Whitfield was one of the "usual suspects" who crossed my mind. Lynn could also do Clairee, though maybe she's a little too young. Halle is too old for Shelby now, but once upon a time...

Debbie Morgan as M'Lynn, Shannon Kane as Shelby! wub.png

Lynn Whitfield (M'Lynn, Clairee)

Angela Basset (M'Lynn, Ouiser)

Jackee Harry (Truuvy, Ouiser)

Mo'Nique (Ouiser)

Olivia Cole (M'Lynn, Clairee, Ouiser)

Phylicia Rashad (M'Lynn, Clairee)

Debbie Allen (Truuvy, Ouiser)

Ha, imagine Robin Givens as Annelle. :P

It all depends on just how old or young they want to go because I could see Victoria Rowell in a couple roles too.

Archived